Posted by bekah on Friday, May 2, 2014 at 4:46pm.
Construct a galvanic (voltaic) cell from the half reactions shown below.
Au3+ + 3 e- → Au (s) ξo= 1.420 V
Br2 (l) + 2 e-→ 2 Br- (aq) ξo= 1.087 V
Calculate the equilibrium constant (K) for this cell. Assume that the temperature is 298K.
First, consider what happens to the Nernst equation when the system reaches equilibrium:
ξ = ξo - (RT/nF) ln Q
What is ξ when the system has reached equilibrium? Is there any driving force left?
Remember that ∆G = -nFξ.
At equilibrium, ∆G = 0, so ξ = 0, too.
At equilibrium, Q = K, since all reactants and products are present at their equilibrium concentrations.
This simplifies the Nernst equation to:
ξocell = [(RT)/nF] ln K
Now calculate a value for K.
You may need to use scientific notation to record your answer. If so, enter it as: 4E43 which is equivalent to 4x1043
- chemistry - Anonymous, Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 10:31pm
Use second equation
1.420- (-1.087)= .333
Use that as cell potential.
n= 6 mols electrons because you have to multiply the two reactions to get 6 electrons so you can cancel the electrons out
divide both sides by .00427 to cancel it from the right side
enter in calculator 2nd and ln to get e^ (77.82) because you want to get ride of ln from the right side so its pushed to the left side as its inverse of e^ (77.82) and ln cancels out so youre left with Q.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - Use the following pair of reduction half-reactions to design a ...
- chemistry - Consider the following standard reduction potentials of some ...
- Chemistry - Use the data given below to construct a Born - Haber cycle to ...
- chemistry - E degrees (V) A galvanic cell based on the following half reaction s...
- Chemistry - If 0.870 mol of liquid Br2 and 720 mL of 0.958 M aqueous NaI are ...
- chemistry - Which of the following half-reactions would occur at the anode of an...
- Chemistry! - A Galvanic cell runs on the following reaction: Co (s) + Cu2+ (aq...
- Chemistry - Consider two cells, the first with Al and Ag electrodes, and the ...
- chemistry - Using the half-reaction method, balance the redox reaction below. ...
- Chemistry - Given the following half-reactions and associated standard reduction...