Contrasting East & West
posted by Rebecca on .
1. In 1938, British Prime Minister Chamberlain declared a final act of appeasement
A. after Hitler attacked Poland.
B. when Hitler's claim on the Sudetenland was accepted.
C. immediately following the Nazi occupation of Austria.
D. after Hitler's forces occupied the Rhineland.
2. The only country in Southeast Asia to maintain its independence was
3. What was the immediate result of the Balkan Wars of 1912 and 1913?
A. Great Britain formed a defensive alliance with Russia.
B. The Archduke Ferdinand decided to visit Bosnia-Herzegovina.
C. The Ottoman Empire lost its last European territories.
D. Serbian nationalism was dampened.
4. Regarding the Ottoman territories during the period immediately following World War I, which of the
following statements is false?
A. In 1919, Mustafa Kemal began organizing Turkish resistance.
B. In 1921, Greek forces advanced almost to Ankara.
C. Defying Allied pressure, the Turkish sultan supported Kemal.
D. The British and French occupied the Ottoman capital at Constantinople.
5. What provision of Roosevelt's New Deal led to substantially reduced unemployment?
A. Abandonment of the gold standard and devaluation of the dollar
B. The Works Progress Administration
C. The National Labor Relations Act
D. The Social Security Act
6. In Australia, Governor Arthur Phillip moved the penal colonyA. from New South Wales to Sydney Cove.
B. from Port Jackson to Sydney Cove.
C. to Port Jackson.
D. from Sydney Cove to Botany Bay.
7. During the nineteenth century, immigrants from India to the new world usually ended up
A. as domestic servants.
B. panning for gold.
C. as indentured laborers.
D. working on railroad construction.
8. In British India, the Rowlatt Acts led to
A. an agreement to grant India Commonwealth status.
B. the Amritsar conference.
C. a weakening of nationalism in India.
D. extensive rioting.
9. All the following factors were associated with the March Revolution, except
A. the murder of Alexandra's advisor, Rasputin.
B. the Duma's proclamation of a provisional government.
C. the abdication of Nicholas II.
D. the arrival of Lenin in Moscow.
10. In 1868, General W. T. Sherman brokered the Treaty of Fort Laramie, declaring that the Dakotas
would remain the ancestral territory of the
A. Sioux and Cheyenne.
B. Creek and Cherokee.
D. Delaware, Shawnee, and Wyandot.
11. In the Soviet Union, which statement about the New Economic Policy (NEP) is true?
A. It established collectivized agriculture.
B. It helped Lenin mollify the peasants.
C. The NEP was popular, but it did not lead to economic growth.
D. The NEP privatized heavy industry.
12. The United States cut off sales of oil to Japan after the
A. Japanese occupation of Hong Kong.
B. Japanese attack on Dutch Indonesia.
C. Japanese occupation of southern Indochina.
D. Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
13. In 1822, after Brazil achieved independence from Portugal, _______ dominated Brazilian society.A. Pedro II
B. local warlords
C. Creole elites
D. Pedro I
14. As a result of a dispute involving _______, Britain, France, and Russia began to view Bismarck's
Germany as a threat.
15. What term best summarizes the reason why the U.S. Senate refused to ratify the Treaty of Versailles?
16. During World War I, the people of China and Japan
A. supported the Central Powers.
B. didn't care who won the war.
C. supported the Triple Entente.
D. strongly opposed the war on moral grounds.
17. Mobilization during World War I was most extensive and effective in
B. Great Britain.
18. In Australia, _______ was the name given to ex-felons who had served their sentences.
19. Following the 1911 revolution in China, _______ under the rule of Yuan Shigai.
A. dictatorial rule was established
B. warlords ruled China
C. democracy was established in China
D. Beijing almost disintegrated
End of exam
20. The most important factor in drawing all of the Middle East into World War I was
A. the battle for Gallipoli.
B. the Ottoman Turks joining forces with Germany and Austria-Hungary.
C. the Arab revolt under Hussein ibn Ali.
D. the guerilla forces led by Lawrence of Arabia.
Do you really think someone here will take your test for you?
If you indicate what YOU THINK the answers are, though, someone may be able to check them for you.
1 - D
2 - D
3 - C
4 - A
5 - C
6 - B
7 - A
8 - B
9 - C
10 - C
11 - D
12 - D
13 - D
14 - A
15 - C
16 - D
17 - A
18 - B
19 - A
20 - B