Posted by Sarah on Thursday, April 10, 2014 at 4:44pm.
I was wondering if you would be able to check if my answers are correct:
1. An oil tank is being drained for cleaning. After t minutes there are v litres of oil left in the tank, where v(t)=40(20-t)^2, 0<=t<=20. Determine the rate of change at the time t=10.
For this question i got -400L/min by substituting 10 into the equation.
2. Consider the function f(x)=5/2+x.
a) Determine the slope at the point with x-coordinate 1
To answer this question I used the formula m=lim h->0 f(x+h)-f(x)/h. Then I got lim h->0 (5/3+h)-(5/3)/h and my answer was 1/9.
b) Determine the equation tangent to the curve f(x) at the point with x-coordinate 1
my answer for this is y=1/9x+14/9
- Calculus - Steve, Thursday, April 10, 2014 at 5:17pm
The volume is
v(t) = 40(400-40t+t^2)
the rate of change is the derivative, so
v'(t) = 40(-40+2t)
v'(10) = 40(-40+20) = -800
2a Since your solution used 5/3, I will assume a typo in the problem.
if you meant (5/3) + x, the slope is always 1
if you meant 5/(3+x) then the slope at x is -5/(3+x)^2, so at x=1, the slope is -5/16
If you used the definition of the limit, then you went wrong somewhere.
f(x+h) = 5/(3+x+h)
f(x) = 5/(3+x)
f(x+h)-f(x) = [5(3+x) - 5(3+x+h)]/[(3+x)(3+x+h)]
divide by h and you have
the limit as h->0 is thus
So, at (1,5/4), the tangent line is
y - 5/4 = -5/16 (x-1)
see the graphs at
- Calculus - Sarah, Thursday, April 10, 2014 at 5:30pm
Thanks Steve! For 2a, I meant 5/2+x, then i got 5/2+1 and then 5/3
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - I have a couple of questions and i wanted to know if my answers are ...
- Calculus - I am re-posting this question because i wrote the incorrect function ...
- Math - An oil tank is the shape of an inverted right circular cone with the ...
- math - If one tank has an 80 x 80cm cross section; the other has a 60 x 60cm ...
- Maths - A tank is one-third full of oil.after taking out 7 litres from it,it is...
- integral calculus - A cylindrical tank of radius 3 ft length 8 ft is laid out ...
- CALCULUS - A cylindrical oil storage tank 12 feet in diameter and 17feet long is...
- Physics - In a huge oil tanker, salt water has flooded an oil tank to a depth ...
- Calculus (Definite Integrals - Force) Please Help - A cylindrical oil storage ...
- phusics - oil is pumped at 31000/liters/min into a tank 25m above the ground.(...