Posted by Willy on Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 8:16pm.
The concrete for a sidewalk is being poured outside the perimeter of a new subdivision, which is a 280 ft. by 720 ft. rectangle. The building code requires that the sidewalk be 5 feet wide and 8 inches deep. How many cubic yards of concrete will need to be poured? How much will the concrete for the new subdivision cost if the price per cubic yard of concrete is $74.50 and an extra 5% of concrete is being ordered?
- math - Reiny, Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 8:35pm
Dimensions of the rectangle including the sidewalk is
290 by 730 , (added 5 feet on each side)
surface area of sidwwalk
= 290x730 - 280x720
volume of sidwwalk
= 10100(8/12) ft^3
= 20200/3 ft^3
but we are ordering 5% extra
= 20200/3 (1.05)
= 7070 cubic ft
= 7070/27 cubic yards
= 261.85 cubic yards
BUT we will probably have to order 262 yds^3
for a cost of
- math - bryce yates, Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 9:33am
- math - Catdaddy, Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 9:37am
- math - babydoll099, Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 12:52pm
- math - coolddude, Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 6:00pm
- math - coolddude, Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 6:01pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - The concrete for a sidewalk is being poured outside the perimeter of a ...
- math - Estimate the cost of the concrete requred to make a concrete sidewalk ...
- Math - A company charges $42 per cubic yard of concrete. How much will it cost ...
- Math - Cody has a circular fish pond with a diameter of 6.4 feet around which he...
- algebra - a sidewalk forms a 3-foot wide border with the grass as shown. how ...
- math - A rectangular garden is 20 m by 25m. It is surrounded by a sidewalk. The ...
- math - A concrete sidewalk 3 feet wide, 18 feet long, and 4 inches thick ...
- ap calc - A pool, that is 12 feet wide and 18 feet long, is to have a sidewalk ...
- math - Complete in Metric Conversions: Estimate the cost ($) of the concrete ...
- Math Algebra 2 - Mr. Mullett has designed a playground for his 4 kids. This ...