Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, April 2, 2014 at 11:43pm.
For the following write the chemical formulas for the reactants and predict the most likely reaction type , then write balanced equations for each:
A.) magnesium chloride is heated
b.) silver nitrate is reacted with sodium sulfide
c.) methanol is burned in the presence of oxygen
d.)hydrochloric acid is reacted completely with strontium hydroxide
- Chemistry quick question - DrBob222, Thursday, April 3, 2014 at 12:13am
What's the problem here? What do you not understand about these?
- Chemistry quick question - Anonymous, Thursday, April 3, 2014 at 12:15am
I don't get how to write the chemical formulas its confusing and I'm stuck on this question for the past 2 hours and I need to get it done
- Chemistry quick question - DrBob222, Thursday, April 3, 2014 at 12:30am
Do you mean that you don't understand why magnesium chloride is MgCl2 or silver nitrate is AgNO3?
- Chemistry quick question - Anonymous, Thursday, April 3, 2014 at 12:33am
Could you write the chemical formulas and the reaction types and ill balance them cause it would be a great help
- Chemistry quick question - DrBob222, Thursday, April 3, 2014 at 12:47am
No, I'm not going to do your work for you; however, I'll assume that you don't know how to write the formulas.
For magnesium chloride.
The symbol for magnesium is Mg.
The symbol for chloride is Cl.
So you look up the valence of Mg and it is +2. If you don't have a table Mg is in group 2 so the most probably valence is +2. Chlorine is in group 17 (or VIIA depending upon the system your prof is using) and is -1.
Write on a sheet of paper MgCl.
Over the Mg write the valence of 2 and over Cl write 1. Then mentally draw an X through the middle of the MgCl you've written. The 2 at the top of the left X mark goes to the bottom of that line. The 1 over the top right X line follows down to the bottom so you have Mg1Cl2. You don't need to write a 1. So the formulas are
AgNO3 + Na2S
CH3OH + O2
HCl + Sr(OH)2
- Chemistry quick question - Anonymous, Thursday, April 3, 2014 at 12:50am
Ok and ill balance them thank u
Answer this Question
- Physical Science - For questions #14 – 17, write an equation for the reaction of...
- chemistry - Predict the products and then write the complete balanced chemical ...
- general chem - Using the activity series (Table 4.5), write balanced chemical ...
- chem - I have the following problems- write net ionic equations for reactions if...
- physical science - For questions #14 – 16, write an equation for the reaction ...
- chemistry - Write a balanced chemical reaction to show the dissociation of solid...
- chem help - i just don't know where to begin/how a) Write a balanced chemical ...
- chemistry - write a balanced chemical reaction for the reaction of aqueous ...
- Chem Help! - I really need help for my homework on how to write the balanced ...
- AP Chem - I know this might sound easy... but i need these problems for bonus ...