Posted by Bob on Wednesday, April 2, 2014 at 8:44pm.
The entrance hall to the Louvre Museum
in Paris is a glass and metal pyramid with a surface area of approximately 1980 square on each side . The base of the pyramid is a square that is 35.4 meters on each side. What is the slant height of the pyramid ? Round to the nearest hundredth . The base area is not included in the surface area.
Math - Reiny, Wednesday, April 2, 2014 at 9:08pm
let the slant height of one side be h
then using (1.2)base x height
1980 = (1/2)(35.4)h
h = 3960/(35.4)
= appr 111.86 m
this can't be. According to the given dimensions on the webpage, the base is about 35 by 35 and the height is 21.6 m, for a slant height of 27.8 m
this would give each triangle an area of
for a total of 486.5(4) or 1946 square units
You stated an area of 1980 for each side.
so using your given 1980
area of one triangle = 1980/4 = 495
then (1/2)(35.4)h = 495
h = 27.966
height is 27.97 m
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - A pyramid has a square base with each side measuring 105.5 meters. ...
- Math Homework - 1) Given the side of a square pyramid is 6cm and the altitude is...
- geometry - The Louvre Pyramid in Paris, France, has the same proportions as the ...
- math - The pyramid of Giza in Egypt is built of stone and was completed in 2560 ...
- math - looking at a square pyramid, if the size of the base remains the same and...
- math - A truncated square pyramid (also known as a frustum) is an object ...
- Mathematics - OPQRS is a right pyramid whose base is a square of sides 12cm each...
- Geometry - When finding the surface area of a composite figure, which in this ...
- Geometry - A square pyramid has a surface area of 175 square inches. The square ...
- geometry - The base of a pyramid is a square. The perimeter of the base is 20ft...