Posted by Chelsea on Monday, March 31, 2014 at 12:08pm.
I need to check my answers for the following:
An Aston Martin V8 Vantage sports car has a maximum “lateral acceleration” of
0.96 “g’s”, after which the car begins to skid out of its turn.
2.1 Calculate the coefficient of static friction between the car’s tyres and the road.
2.2 Determine the minimum radius of unbanked curve the car can negotiate while travelling at
a constant 120 km/h.
2.3 If the road is banked at 15.0°, determine the range of speeds at which the car can safely
negotiate the curve in wet weather, when the coefficient of static friction is reduced by 20%.
Physics - Damon, Monday, March 31, 2014 at 12:53pm
LOL - I would guess around mu = 0.96
120,000 m/h * 1 h/3600 s = 33.33 m/s
m v^2/R = .96 m g
R = v^2/(.96 g) = 118 meters
mu = .8*.96 = .768
Normal F = m g cos 15 = .966 m g
friction force = mu Normal = .768*.966mg =.742 mg
component of weight down slope = m g sin 15 = .259 mg
Total down slope = (.742 + .259)mg
component of centripetal acceleration down slope = (v^2/R)cos 15
= .966 v^2/R
force down slope = mass * acceleration down slope
(.742+.259)mg = m * .966 v^2/R
v^2/R = 1.04 g
if R = 118
v^2 = 118 *1.04 * 9.81 34.7 m/s
now reverse mu to - .768 and do this again to find minimum speed with slipping downhill. It might be zero :)
Physics - Chelsea, Monday, March 31, 2014 at 1:00pm
I don't understand why that is the answer for 2.1
Physics - Damon, Monday, March 31, 2014 at 1:22pm
weight down = m g
max friction force = mu m g
centripetal force = m (lateral acceleration)
mu m g = m a = m (.96 g)
a = .96 g
We call "lateral acceleration" centripetal acceleration :)
Physics - Chelsea, Tuesday, April 1, 2014 at 12:28am
2.3) The question says "range of speeds", so i was expecting a quadratic formula.( What do you mean by reversing mu?
Physics - andreas, Tuesday, April 1, 2014 at 5:57pm
@Damon what happens to the sin component of the centripetal force?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A sports car skids to a stop, leaving skid marks 290 m long. If the ...
- Physics - A sports car is accelerating up a hill that rises 17.0° above the ...
- mechanical science - 11. In an accident a freeway sports car made skid marks 200...
- Physics - A 5000 kg truck rear ends a 2500 kg car. Both vehicles applied brakes ...
- physics - A 950-kg race car can drive around an unbanked turn at a maximum speed...
- physics - A 870-kg race car can drive around an unbanked turn at a maximum speed...
- physics - A 850-kg race car can drive around an unbanked turn at a maximum speed...
- PHYSICS - How do I solve this? A 700-kg race car can drive around an unbanked ...
- Physics - An 855-kg race car can drive around an unbanked turn at a maximum ...
- Physics - An 825-kg race car can drive around an unbanked turn at a maximum ...