Posted by Q on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 at 8:09pm.
There are 50 apple trees in an orchard, and each tree produces an average of 200 apples each year. For each additional tree planted within the orchard, the average number of apples produced drops by 5. What is the optimal number of trees to plant in the orchard?
I mostly need help getting an equation and defining a variable
- Calculus - Steve, Tuesday, March 25, 2014 at 8:16pm
the number of apples is yield/tree * # trees.
With x trees, yield per tree is 200 - 5(x-50) for x > 50
So, total crop is
c(x) = x(200-5(x-50)) = x(450-5x) = 450x - 5x^2
c'(x) = 450-10x
c' = 0 at x=45
So, the max yield is achieved with 45 trees
- Calculus - bobpursley, Tuesday, March 25, 2014 at 8:28pm
number apples=average*number trees
let x be the nubmer of trees 50<x<inf
number apples=(200-(x-50)*5)(x) where x is the number of trees, 50<x<infinity
but x>50, so look at optimal
check x=50 N=50*200=10000 apples
check x=51 N=(51)(195)=9945
so indeed, the optimal is 50.
- Calculus - bobpursley, Tuesday, March 25, 2014 at 8:29pm
now if you are allowed to remove trees, and for each tree removed, the average goes up by 5, then the optimal is to remove five trees.
- Calculus - good catch bob - Steve, Tuesday, March 25, 2014 at 8:35pm
Dang - forgot the restriction on the domain.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - There are 50 apple trees in an orchard, and each tree produces an average...
- business calculas - An apple orchard has an average yield of 38 bushels of ...
- math - An apple orchard has an average yield of 36 bushels of apples per tree if...
- HELLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!! - Write an equation to solve the following problem. During ...
- Pre-Algebra - Write an equation to solve the following problem. During the ...
- College Level Calculus - Each orange tree grown in California produces 720 ...
- Statistics - The table list the sugar content of two types of apples from three ...
- Calc and Vectors - The owner of an orange grove estimates that 150 orange trees ...
- physics - Bert is standing on a ladder picking apples in his father's orchard. ...
- Physics - Bert is standing on a ladder picking apples in his father's orchard. ...