Posted by felicity turner on Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 7:29pm.
Underline the gerund phrase in each sentence. Then, indicate whether the phrase functions as a subject (S), an object of a preposition (OP), a direct object (DO), an indirect object (IO), or a predicate nominative (PN).
1. Pablo Morales became known as the comeback kid of Olympic swimming.
ANSWER: Olympic swimming, (OP)
2. One of the goals of Morales's mother was having her children learn to swim at an early age.
ANSWER: having her children learn to swim at an early age, (PN)
3. Morales learned quickly, and soon he started winning junior championships.
ANSWER: winning junior championships, (DO)
4. As a student at Stanford University, he attracted attention by winning 11 NCAA championships.
ANSWER: winning 11 NCAA championships, (OP)
5. Competing in the 1984 Olympics brought him one gold medal and two silver medals.
ANSWER: Competing in the 1984 Olympics, (S)
6. Morales surprised everybody by failing to qualify for the 1988 Olympics.
ANSWER: failing to qualify for the 1988 Olympics,(OP)
7. After that, his new goal was earning a law degree.
ANSWER: earning a law degree, (PN)
8. When his mother died in 1991, Morales gave competitive swimming another chance.
ANSWER: swimming, (IO), chance, (DO)
9. Having only seven months to prepare made it difficult for him to qualify for the 1992 Olympics, but he did,
ANSWER: Having only seven months, (S)
10. He touched people's hearts by winning a gold medal in the 100-meter butterfly.
ANSWER: winning a gold medal in the 100-meter butterfly, (OP)
11. Swimmer Pablo Morales's goal was making the 1992 Olympic team.
ANSWER: making the 1992 Olympic team, (PN)
12. Watching Pablo swim at the Olympics was difficult for Pablo's father.
ANSWER: Watching Pablo swim, (S)
13. Mr. Morales coped with the tension by clutching a picture of his late wife.
ANSWER: clutching a picture of his late wife, (OP)
14. Pablo showed a winning style by earning two gold medals.
ANSWER: winning style, (DO), earning two gold medals, (OP)
15. In 1998, Morales returned to the limelight by heading a list of swimmers to be inducted into the International Swimming Hall of Fame.
ANSWER: heading a list of swimmers (OP)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Grammar Answer Check - Underline the gerund in each setences (). Then, on the ...
- english - 9. What kind of complement is the underlined word? Fill the bucket ...
- English - Write the gerund phrase in each sentence. Then indicate whether the ...
- english - How is the gerund phrase used in the sentence? My goal is reading a ...
- english - How is the gerund phrase used in the sentence? Drawing is Reagan's ...
- english HELP ASAP - the directions say : For each sentence, find the infinitive ...
- English - 1) How many U.S. presidents can (you) name? (2) In the year 2000, U....
- English - Collecting candy on Halloween still appeals to Del. find gerund phrase...
- English - Select the letter of the term that identifies the function of the ...
- Grammar - Here are some more- What kind of complement is the word in CAPS? 1....