Posted by Selina on Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 3:53pm.
2) Given the balanced reaction equation predict the moles of each product given the following reactants:
AlCl3 + 3 NaHCO3 Al(OH)3 + 3 NaCl + 3 CO2
AlCl3 NaHCO3 Al(OH)3 NaCl 58.4 CO2
a 1 mol 1 mol ? ?
b 1 mol 3 mol ? ?
c 3 mol 1 mol ? ?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 4:39pm
These are limiting reagent problems. I solve these the long way. Starting with one of the reactants, calculate how much of one of the products will be formed. Do the same for the other reactant and the same product. If both answers are the same everything is in the right proportion and there is no limiting reagent(LR). If not, the SMALLER value of the product will be formed (and the reagent producing that smaller value will be the limiting reagent). First one:
...1 mol...1 mol.....x......x......x
1 mol AlCl3 will produce3 1 mol Al(OH)3.
1 mol NaHCO3 will produce 1/3 mol Al(OH)3 so NaHCO3 is the limiting reagent. You will produce 1/3 mol Al(OH)3. At the same time you will produce 1 mol NaCl and 1 mol CO2
1 mol AlCl3 will produce 1 mol Al(OH)3
3 mol NaHCO3 will produce 1 mol Al(OH)3 which means those are the exact proportions you need and there is no LR. You will produce 3 mol NaCl and 3 mols CO2 at the same time you produce 1 mol Al(OH)3.
I will leave c part for you. Post your work if you want me to check it.
- Chemistry - Selina, Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 4:49pm
Thank you very much for your time on this and the other problems I posted. You are appreciated.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- CHEM HELP - what is the theoretical mole ratio- NaCl to NaHCO3 How do you ...
- Chemistry - 0.7g of an unknown mixture of NaHCO3 and Na2CO3 is mixed with 3mL of...
- chemistry - You have 1.600g mixture of NaHCO3 and Na2CO3. You find that 11.60 ml...
- Chemistry - NaHCO3 + HCl = NaCl + H2O + CO2 The there are .0489 moles of CO2, ...
- chemistry - NaCl (aq) + NH3(aq) + H2O(l) + CO2(s) --> NH4Cl(aq) + NaHCO3(s) ...
- Chem - 1) Which solution will have the lowest OH- A) Na2CO3 B) NaHCO3 C) NaCl D...
- Chemistry - please explain how % error and % yield would have effected the mass/...
- Chemistry - Balance this equation. NaHCO3(s) + heat ----> Na2CO3(s) + H2O(l...
- college chemistry - The solvay process in an industrial method for preparing ...
- science - According to the Lewis Acid/Base theory, what is the neutralization ...