Posted by Brady on Friday, February 14, 2014 at 4:55pm.
Why is raising a number to the power of 1/2 the same as finding the square root of the number?
Can someone please help. Please provide examples. I would appreciate it if you guys can help as soon as possible.
- Math - Ms. Sue, Friday, February 14, 2014 at 4:59pm
Patience, child. I've deleted 3 of these duplicate posts in the last few minutes. Do not post this question again for at least 3 hours.
- Math - Brady, Friday, February 14, 2014 at 5:03pm
Sorry, I didn't know that you delete duplicate posts. I have only just started using this site a couple days ago.
- Math - Reiny, Friday, February 14, 2014 at 5:53pm
We know that
(√x)^2 = x , by the very definition of √x
suppose we take x(1/2) and square it
by the exponents rules this would be
x( (1/2)(2) )
so (√x)^2 = (x^(1/2) )^2
then √x = x^(1/2)
so x^(1/2) behaves the same way as √x
by the same argument we can show that
x^(1/3) is the same as ∛x
x^(1/4) is the same as ∜x
- Math - Brady, Friday, February 14, 2014 at 5:55pm
Thank you. I appreciate it.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - Rational Exponents - Can someone explain the rules for raising a power...
- Math - What do you do to check whether a number is rational or irrational? How ...
- 7th grade math Ms. Sue please - 2. Shelly sews a blanket that has an area of 170...
- Algebra please? - This is my last test question :) How does finding the square ...
- math - How does finding the square root [√] of a number compare to finding...
- algebra - Which shows the expressions in the order they would appear on a number...
- math - which number has the greatest value? a 3.5 b square root of 15** c square...
- algebra - could someone please check these roblems for me and if they are not ...
- 2 Math Questions - 1) What do you do to check whether a number is rational or ...
- Math, ( Help please?)! - Tell whether each number is a real number, rational ...