Posted by GAGAN on Tuesday, February 4, 2014 at 1:54pm.
1. The number of hours of daylight D(t) in Halifax at day t can be approximated by the function
D(t) = a sin(bt + c) + d,
where t = 1 on January 1, and t = 365 on December 31. The period is one year, and the cycle starts on the vernal equinox, March 21, which has 12 hours of daylight (note that March 21 is day 80 in the year, since 31 + 28 + 21 = 80), reaches a maximum of about 15.3 hours at the summer solstice, and a minimum of about 8.7 hours at the winter solstice. Sketch the graph for the number of hours of daylight, and find a, b, c, and d to get the function. Then estimate the number of hours of daylight on your birthday.
- Precalculus II - Damon, Tuesday, February 4, 2014 at 2:09pm
2 a = 15.3 - 8.7
a = 3.3
d = (15.3 + 8.7)/2 = 12 logically enough
T = full period = 365
so sin 2 pi t/T = sin .01721 t
so b = .01721
sin (.01721 t - c) = 0 when t = 80
.01721 (80) - c = 0
c = 1.377
so in the end
D = 3.3 sin (.01721 t - 1.377) + 12
put in t = day of the year of your birthday. For example if your birthday is March 22 then t = 81. If birthday is Jan 2 then put in 2
- Precalculus II - Damon, Tuesday, February 4, 2014 at 2:10pm
Cool problem by the way, congratulate teacher !
- Precalculus II - GAGAN, Tuesday, February 4, 2014 at 6:40pm
Thank you so much Demon sir
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- 11th grade-Calculas - The number of hours of daylight D depends upon the ...
- calculus - The number of hours of daylight D depends upon the latitude and the ...
- trig - A city averages 14 hours of daylight in June, 10 in December, 12 in both ...
- Pre Calculus HELP!? - The length of a day in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is ...
- Pre-Calculus HELP!! - The length of a day in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is ...
- Math - The number of daylight hours in a day is harmonic. Suppose that in a ...
- Trigonometry - The number of daylight hours in a day is harmonic. Suppose that ...
- math - In Philadelphia the number of hours of daylight on day t (where t is the ...
- Pre-Calculus - At 34 degrees north latitude, the longest day of the year has 14....
- Math- Trigonometry - The flowering of many commercially grown plants in ...