Posted by MATH on Saturday, February 1, 2014 at 9:16am.
Find a formula for the inverse of the function.
y=x^2-x, x>=(greater than or equal to) 1/2
Please give me a step by step explanation. I think my algebra is wrong... Ty
- CALCULUS - Damon, Saturday, February 1, 2014 at 9:46am
x = y^2 - y
y^2 - y + 1 = x + 1
(y-1)^2 = x + 1
y -1 = sqrt (x+1)
y = 1 + sqrt (x+1)
- CALCULUS - Reiny, Saturday, February 1, 2014 at 10:37am
noticed an error from line 2 to line 3
y^2 - y = x
y^2 - y + 1/4 = x + 1/4
(y - 1/2)^2 =(4x+1)/4
y - 1/2 = ±√(4x+1)/2
y = 1/2 ± √(4x+1)/2
= (1 ± √(4x+1) )/2 , x ≥ -1/4
- CALCULUS - Damon, Saturday, February 1, 2014 at 11:47am
- CALCULUS - MATH, Sunday, February 2, 2014 at 12:29am
I don't understand. Why are you adding 1/4? to both sides? I don't see how you are getting a quadratic formula from this. More importantly, thank you guys for the help!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math(Please check) - The following function is one-to-one; find its inverse f(x...
- math - Could you show me step by step how to find the inverse of this problem: ...
- Math - y=arccos(sin(x)), find dy/dx and sketch it's graph(I guess I can do this ...
- Algebra help - f(x)=x^3-4x^2-x+4 How do I find the x-intercept for this? This is...
- Algebra II - The question reads: Use synthetic division to find P(2) for P(x) = ...
- calculus - Find the cubic function f(x)=ax^3+bx^2+cx+d that has a local max ...
- grammer - which is a prepositional pharse? voluntary muscles, which help move, ...
- Calculus - Use the four-step process to find the slope of the tangent line to ...
- Algebra II (Matrices) - My book doesn't solve it like a linear equation, they ...
- CALCULUS HELP - Find the derivative of the following function showing your work ...