Posted by Nicole Faith on Sunday, January 19, 2014 at 10:25pm.
Ten years ago a man was three times as old as his son. In twelve more years,the son is three fifths as old as his father.what were their ages 5 years ago?
- Algebra - Reiny, Monday, January 20, 2014 at 12:11am
10 years ago:
son --- x
father --- 3x
son --- x+10
father --- 3x+10
12 years from now:
son --- x+22
father -- 3x + 22
x+22 = (3/5)(3x + 22)
5x + 110 = 9x + 66
-4x = -44
x = 11
so 5 years ago:
son = present age - 5
= (11+10) - 5 = 16
father = 3x+10 - 5 = 38
So 5 years ago, the son was 16, and the father was 38
(right now the son is 21, and the father is 43)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Ten years ago a man was three times as old as his son. In twelve more ...
- math - Ten years ago,father was twelve times as old as his son and ten years ...
- Mathematics - Two years hence,a father will be six times as old as his son.Three...
- math - A father is now three times as old as his son, twelve years ago he was ...
- algebra - in four years's time a father will be three times as old as his son. ...
- Kathie - In four years' time, a father will be three times as old as his son. ...
- Math - The sum of the ages of a father and his son is 62 years. 15 years ago, ...
- algebra - The combined age of a father and his two sons is 50 years. Four years ...
- Math - A father who is 42 years old has a son and a daughter. The daughter is ...
- MATH - 1. A father is three times as old as his son. Five years ago the sum of ...