Posted by Nicole Faith on Sunday, January 19, 2014 at 10:25pm.
Ten years ago a man was three times as old as his son. In twelve more years,the son is three fifths as old as his father.what were their ages 5 years ago?
- Algebra - Reiny, Monday, January 20, 2014 at 12:11am
10 years ago:
son --- x
father --- 3x
son --- x+10
father --- 3x+10
12 years from now:
son --- x+22
father -- 3x + 22
x+22 = (3/5)(3x + 22)
5x + 110 = 9x + 66
-4x = -44
x = 11
so 5 years ago:
son = present age - 5
= (11+10) - 5 = 16
father = 3x+10 - 5 = 38
So 5 years ago, the son was 16, and the father was 38
(right now the son is 21, and the father is 43)
Answer this Question
- Math - Ten years ago a man was three times as old as his son. In twelve more ...
- Kathie - In four years' time, a father will be three times as old as his son. ...
- algebra - The combined age of a father and his two sons is 50 years. Four years ...
- MATH - 1. A father is three times as old as his son. Five years ago the sum of ...
- Math - In five years,Emma will be three years more than twice as old as her son...
- math - A. A woman was 30 years old when her daughter was born.Her age is now 6 ...
- problem solving - 1) Three generations the grandson is about as many days old as...
- Math - I cant figure this out! Can someone please tell me were my mistake is...
- math - When a woman is as old as her father is now, she will be five times as ...
- College Math - A certain man spent 10% of his life in childhood and 20% of his ...