Posted by Kimmy on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 5:28pm.
On planet X, the alien residents use a temperature scale in which they define 0 degrees X to be the melting point of nitrogen and 100 degrees X to be the boiling point of nitrogen.
What temperature difference in X degrees does a temperature change of 1 C degree correspond to?
What temperature in degrees X does water freeze?
What temperture in degrees X does absolute zero correspond to?
Physics - Damon, Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 5:54pm
-195.8 deg C = nitrogen boils
-210 deg C = nitrogen melts
so 0 to 100 X is -210 C to -195.6 C
14.4 deg C is 100 X
change of 1 deg C is change of 6.94 X
relation is linear
X = k C + b
we already know the slope k = 6.94
X = 6.94 C + b
when C = -210, X = 0
0 = 6.94 (-210) + b
b = 1458
X = 6.94 C + 1458
before we go any further check boiling point of N2
C = -195.6
X = 6.94 (-195.6) + 1458
X = -1358+ 1458 = 100 Yeah!
so now use our formula
X = 6.94 C + 1458
to find X for C = 0 (1458 K obviously)
and for C = -273
Physics - Damon, Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 5:56pm
I mean 1458 X , not K, obviously
Physics - Kimmy, Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 6:18pm
Thank you SO much!!!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - A new temperature scale has the freezing point of water at 50 degrees and...
- chemistry - Many analytical instruments require liquid nitrogen. While filling ...
- Chemistry - Many analytical instruments require liquid nitrogen. While filling ...
- Calculus - The celcius scale is devised so that 0 degrees celcius is the ...
- Math evaluating expressions with rational numbers - Liquid nitrogen freezes at -...
- Algebra - In the metric system there are two official temperature scales: degree...
- physics - lead is a soft, dense metal with a specific heat of 0.028 kcal/kg ...
- Chemistry - The vapor pressure of nitrogen at several different temperatures is ...
- chm - Liquid nitrogen is obtained by condensing gaseous nitrogen found in air ...
- Chemistry - Can someone pls help me!! You decide to establish a new temperature ...