Posted by ava on Monday, January 13, 2014 at 10:51am.
a school's chorus bought 30 tickets to a play. total cost of tickets $98. if student tickets cost $3 and each adult tickets cost $5, how many adults are going with the chorus?
- math - koala, Monday, January 13, 2014 at 11:03am
It's a system of equations
Let's say that students = x,and that adults = y
Now let's construct the system of equations:
x + y = 30
3x + 5y = 98
Let's work by substitution with the first equation:
x = 30 - y
Lets the expression above in the second equation:
Now we solve for y:
y = 8/2
y = 4
So we said that y represent the number of adults, so we have 4 adults.
30-4= 26 students
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - A community group bought 25 tickets to a play. Adult tickets cost $30 ...
- math - The table shows ticket prices at the movie 16 theater.Let a represent the...
- Math - Adult tickets for the school play cost $5 and student tickets cost $3. ...
- Math - The drama club raised a total of $1,123.50 selling tickets to its ...
- math - tickets for a football match are sold at $30 for adults and $15 for ...
- Math - The seventh graders sold tickets to their play.the tickets cost $3 for ...
- Quick Math Help - At a school play, childrens tickets cost $3 each and adult ...
- math - for a class trip a teacher brought 25 students tickets and 5 adult ...
- math - The total ticket sales for the school basketball game were $1625. Adult ...
- Algebra - On the opening night of a play at a local theatre, 895 tickets were ...