Posted by eric on Monday, January 13, 2014 at 3:00am.
i need to find the derivative using chain rule:
(x^2 + 2x - 6)^2 (1-x^3)^2
i got the answer from a site but the problem is i cannot get my work to match up with the answer, i dont know what im doing wrong.
answer: 10x^9 + 36x^8 − 64x^7 − 182x^6 + 168x^5 + 80x^4 + 196x^3 − 204x^2 − 16x−24
f'(x) = [2(x^2 + 2x - 6)*(2x + 2)]*(1-x^3)^2 + [2(1-x^3)*(3x^2)]*(x^2 +2x-6)^2
f'(x)=2(2x^3 +6x^2 -8x-12)*(1-x^3)^2 +[2(3x^2 -3x^5)]*(x^2 +2x-6)(x^2 +2x-6)
f'(x)= (4x^3 +12x^2 -16x-24)*(1-2x^3 +x^6) +(6x^2 -6x^5)*(x^4 +4x^3 -8x^2 -24x+36)
f'(x)=4x^9 +12x^8 -16x^7 -32x^6 -24x^5 +32x^4 +52x^3 +12x^2 -16x-24)+(-6x^9 -24x^8 +48x^7 -138x^6 -198x^5 -48x^4 -144x^3 +216x^2)
f'(x)=-2x^9 -12x^8 +32x^7 -170x^6 +222x^5 -16x^4 -92x^3 +228x^2 -16x -24
its 1am and i could have made some arithmetic errors but im fairly certain there accurate for the most part
- calculus - Steve, Monday, January 13, 2014 at 5:10am
well, maybe they're as accurate as your spelling...
Your very first line is in error: should be -3x^2 toward the end.
Fix that, and everything's ok.
If you visit wolframalpha.com and enter
derivative (x^2 + 2x - 6)^2 (1-x^3)^2
you will get several different ways of writing it.
If you enter
your corrected first step:
[2(x^2 + 2x - 6)*(2x + 2)]*(1-x^3)^2 + [2(1-x^3)*(-3x^2)]*(x^2 +2x-6)^2
you will get the same answer.
Devil's in the details, as usual. Unless otherwise instructed, I'd probably not take it all the way to a single expanded expression.
- calculus - mary, Monday, March 2, 2015 at 7:38pm
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- MoRe HeLp PlEaSe!! (calc) - Also can I get some help with this LONG, TIRESOME ...
- Calculus (Help) - Also I would like to know how to set this problem up in ...
- calculus - Please help. Applying the chain rule, how do I find the derivative of...
- Calculus - How do I use the chain rule to find the derivative of square root(1-x...
- Math, Calculus - Find the derivative of the function. y= xcosx - sinx What's the...
- Calculus - I finished this problem but I wanted some feedback because I don't ...
- calculus - V(h) = pie/3(R^2h-h^3) take the derivative with respect to h. using ...
- calculus - i need to find the derivative using chain rule and show steps: y= (x...
- calculus - Find the derivative using the chain rule. f(x) = ((3x-7)/(6x+3))^4 f...
- CAlculus - using chain rule find the derivative of y=xsin1/x