Posted by Christy on Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 6:21pm.
Express the edge length of a cube as a function of the cube's diagonal length d. Then express the surface area and volume of the cube as a function of the diagonal length.
pre-calculus - Steve, Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 6:31pm
d^2 = 3s^2
so, s = (d/3)^(1/2)
v = s^3 = (d/3)^(3/2)
A = 6s^2 = 2d
pre-calculus - Damon, Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 6:36pm
edge length s
diagonal of a side = s sqrt 2
then right triangle with legs s and s sqrt 2
d^2 = s^2 + 2 s^2 = 3 s^2
d = s sqrt 3
s = d/ sqrt 3 = d (3)^-.5
area = 6s^2 = 6d^2 (3)-1 = 6d^2/3 =2 d^2
vol=s^3=[d(3^-.5)]^3 = d^3 /(3 sqrt 3)
= (d^3 sqrt 3)/9
pre-calculus - typo - Steve, Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 6:38pm
Scratch all that, since
s = d/√3
v = s^3 = d^3/√27
a = 6s^2 = 2d^2
pre-calculus - Damon, Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 6:40pm
pre-calculus - Christy, Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 6:45pm
thank you :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - damn i cant post a drawing..there r 2 cubes, cube x and cube y and the ...
- algebra - First: solve for k. Then, go back to the original equation c=k(d-3) ...
- math - Which of the following is a formula for finding the volume of a cube? A. ...
- Math - consider a triangle with vertices (a,b), (c,d), (e,f), with the area of ...
- geometry - A cube has edge lengths of 4 inches. What is the approximate length ...
- Geometry - A cube has edge lengths of 6 inches. What is the approximate length ...
- math - A cube with edges of length 2 centimeters is buildt from centimeter cubes...
- algebra - the cube root of the volume of a cube gives the length of one side of ...
- Pre-Calc (Point of Inter.) - A diagonal of a cube is a line segment of maximum ...
- Math - A solid sphere just fits inside a cube that has an edge length equal to ...