Posted by Ben on Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 5:11pm.
Which of the following describes the underlined phrase in the sentence below?
The local softball team won the championship (against all odds).
Process of elimination:
It cannot be C since a gerund needs to have -ing at the end.
It cannot be D since infinitive are mostly used as non-finite verbs.
It cannot be participles since it does not have -ed -en -d -n -ne.
So I say:
Can anyone check? Thanks :-).
Honor's English - Ms. Sue, Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 5:25pm
You are right.
Honor's English - Ben, Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 5:25pm
Thank you :-).
Honor's English - Ms. Sue, Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 5:30pm
Honors English - Steve, Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 6:55pm
Good reasoning, but it seems like a lot of work, since simply recognizing "against" as a preposition would have done the job.
Now if you can just work on the use of apostrophes, that will be real progress...
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - What type of phrase is underlined in the sentence below? (Lying in bed...
- English - This is what I think they are 1."Leaving their native land to colonize...
- English - Select the letter of the choice that correctly identifies the ...
- english - Identify the term that correctly identifies the capitalized word(s) in...
- College English 101 - On these we had to say if the sentence is Prepositional ...
- Lang. Arts - Identify the term that correctly identifies the capitalized word(s...
- English - 1.Identify the underline phrase in the sentences: "Accordong to the ...
- English - Can anyone help me with this? After the sentence, identify the ...
- English-Grammar - Identify the word or words the best describes the underlined(...
- English - 4. (Landing in New England) caused much disappointment among the ...