Posted by Franklin on Monday, January 6, 2014 at 9:43am.
In a laboratory, scientists often study neurons in isolation, outside of a living
creature, in a dish. In this setting, one can have a good deal of control over the
local ionic environment in which the cell exists, because we can control the
makeup of the solution – the 'medium' – in the dish. This situation is a bit like
replacing the extracellular fluid that the cell would normally be bathed in with
some other fluid.!
There are a variety of different kinds of media that scientists use for different
purposes. Let’s consider a few standard ones, including Dulbecco’s Modified
Eagle’s Medium (DMEM)* and "depolarization" medium.!
The table below lists the ionic concentrations for these media. The "intracellular"
column lists the concentrations inside a particular neuron. All concentrations
below are in mM (millimolar).!
ion/ Intracellular/ DMEM /"depolarization medium"
K+ /140 /5.3/ 55
Na+ /10/ 154 /105
Cl- /12 /119/ 119
Ca2+/ 0.0001 /1.8/ 1.8
Based on this chart, what is the Nernst potential for K+ for the cell, bathed in
DMEM at 37C?!
Check the best option!
• 87 mV!
• -87 mV!
• -25 mV!
• 25 mV!
• -60 mV!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- science - Two im not sure on, please check? What is the true work of all ...
- WRITING - I need help revising for pronouns towards this paragraph: Choosing a ...
- Science - Why is it important for scientists to be open-minded but skeptical? a...
- Co-op - I have to writeabout the work setting and work environment of a pharmacy...
- Research - I have to write a paper about prison life on the norms and values for...
- Science - Animals with nerve nets have: A:No specialized neurons B:Sensory ...
- reading/english - When studying the world of living things, biologists and other...
- ENGLISH - Which one of the following sentence represents an example of an ...
- Communication Studies - Professor Nostradamus conducted an empirical or observed...
- Biology - Differentiating the affects of environment vs the affects of DNA and ...