Posted by Alex on Sunday, January 5, 2014 at 8:54pm.
A 6 kg block free to move on a horizontal, frictionless surface is attached to a spring. The spring is compressed 0.16 m from equi- librium and released. The speed of the block is 1.44 m/s when it passes the equilibrium po- sition of the spring. The same experiment is now repeated with the frictionless surface re- placed by a surface with coefficient of friction 0.1.
Determine the speed of the block at the equilibrium position of the spring. The accel- eration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
- Physics - Alex, Sunday, January 5, 2014 at 9:31pm
Someone please answer i need help and do not understand
- Physics - Damon, Monday, January 6, 2014 at 12:44am
kinetic energy of block released from spring = (1/2) mv^2 = .5*6 (1.44)^2
= 6.22 Joules
Now if there is friction, how much work is done against friction force?
Work = F * d
work = .1 * 6 * 9.8 * .16 = .941 Joules lost to friction
so kinetic energy left in block = 6.22 -.941 = 5.28 Joules
(1/2) m v^2 = 5.28 Joules
v^2 = (2 /6)(5.28)
v = 1.33 m/s
so energy stored in spring = 6.22 Joules if no friction
(1/2) k x^2 = 6.22
(1/2) k (.16)^2 = 6.22
spring constant k = 486 N/m
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A 6 kg block free to move on a horizontal, frictionless surface is ...
- mechanics - Jayden holds a 3kg block pressed up against a spring on a horizontal...
- Physics - A 4.36 kg block free to move on a horizontal, frictionless surface is ...
- Physics - Suppose the block is released from rest with the spring compressed 5....
- Physics - A 2.95 kg block on a horizontal floor is attached to a horizontal ...
- Physics - An ideal spring with a stiffness of 329 N/m is attached to a wall, and...
- physics - A block of ice of mass 4.10 kg is placed against a horizontal spring ...
- phys2 - A 2.9-kg block is released from rest and allowed to slide down a ...
- physics - A block with a mass of 0.5kg is pushed against a horizontal spring of ...
- Physics- springs - Block A has a mass 1.00kg, and block B has a mass 3.00 kg. ...