Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 5:33pm.
I have an assignment that asks me to write an equation in slope-intercept, point-slope, or standard form for the information given and to explain why the chosen form would be best. Below is the information given.
1. passing through (-1,4) and (-5,2)
2. that has slope 2 and y intercept 4
3. that has an x-intercept of 6 and a y-intercept of 3
4. that passes through (1,2) and has a slope of -5/3
I chose point-slope for the first one, slope-intercept for the second, slope-intercept for the third, and point-slope for the fourth. Do you think my answers are good, or would you choose different forms for some of them?
- Algebra - Reiny, Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 5:52pm
actually, any method should work for any of those conditions,
in #3, I would use the intercept-intercept form
if the x-intecept is 'a' and the y-intercept is 'b', then the equation can be written simply as
x/a + y/b = 1
so x/6 + y/3 = 1
x + 2y = 6 , all done!
If I know the slope and a point, I use a method that given me the equation in about 3 lines
- based on the fact that for
Ax + By = C, the slope is -A/B
if you give me the slope I can reverse that and start with the completed left side of the equation,
given slope as -5/3 and the point (1,2) , your #4
the equation has to be
5x + 3y = C , but (1,2) lies on it, so
5(1) + 3(2) = C
C = 11
equation: 5x + 3y = 11
advantage, no fractions!
- Algebra - Anonymous, Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 6:06pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - I have an assignment to write an equation to point-slope form, then to...
- Algebra 2 - Can someone help me with this equation please? The directions are: ...
- math - pls check!!! - Write an equation in point-slope form for the line that ...
- Math - Write an equation in slope-intercept form, point-slope, or standard form ...
- Algebra - Choose 1 set of points from the choices below. Then, solve the problem...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Algebra - What is 2x=7? Is it a standard form, or slope-intercept form, or not a...
- Algebra 1 - I've tried so hard on this and I'm completely hopeless, can somebody...
- Algebra.. - HELP. Problems 4 - 7: Write an equation for the line in point/slope ...
- algebra[please check] - in questions 1 and 2, write an equation of the line in ...