Posted by Samantha on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 9:25pm.
4. Find the tangent line approximation, L(x), of f(x)=x^2/3 at x = 8.
L(x) = 4/3x-20/3
L(x) = 2/3x+8
L(x) = 4(x-8)
L(x) = 1/3x + 4/3
*L(x) = 4/3x - 8/3
5. A balloon is rising at a constant speed of 5 ft/sec. A boy is cycling along a straight road at a constant speed of 15 ft/sec. When he passes under the balloon, it is 5 feet above him. Approximately how fast is the distance between the boy and the balloon increasing 3 seconds after he has passed underneath it?
6. A factory is manufacturing a rectangular storage container with an open top. The volume of the container is 10 ft^3, and the length of the base is twice the width. The material for the base costs $10 per square foot, and the material for the sides costs $6 per square foot. Find the cheapest cost to make the container, given the conditions.
7. The edge of a cube was found to have a length of 50 cm with a possible error in measurement of 0.1 cm. Based on the measurement, you determine that the volume is 125,000 cm^3. Use tangent line approximation to estimate the percentage error in volume.
8. An inverted conical tank (with vertex down) is 14 feet across the top and 24 feet deep. If water is flowing in at a rate of 12 ft^3/min, find the rate of change of the depth of the water when the water is 10 feet deep.
9. For the function f(x)=Inx/x^2, find the approximate location of the critical point in the interval (0, 5).
- Calc help - check rest of answers, please? - Reiny, Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 10:42pm
I did #4 and #5 for you in your previous post
let the width of the base be x
let the length of the base be 2x
let the height be y
given: Volume = 10
2x^2y = 10
y = 5/x^2
which was the last choice.
cost = 10(2x^2) + 6( 2 ends + front + back)
= 20x^2 + 6(2xy + 2xy + 2xy)
= 20x^2 + 36xy
= 20x^2 + 36x(5/x^2) = 20x^2 + 180/x
d(cost)/dx = 40x - 180/x^2
= 0 for a min cost
40x = 180/x^2
x^3 = 180/40 = 9/2
x = (9/2)^(1/3)
subbing that into cost = ...
I get $163.54
- Calc help - check rest of answers, please? - Samantha, Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 10:57pm
Thank you so much! I'm getting number 7 as .9%, correct?
- Calc help - check rest of answers, please? - Samantha, Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 11:25pm
Nevermind, I figured them out! :) Thank you!
Answer this Question
pre calc trig check my work please - sin x + cos x -------------- = ? sin x sin ...
Calculus (pleas help I really need to check this) - Assume that each of the ...
Grade 11th Physics - A bus starts from rest and accelerates uniformly for 20 ...
Calc - Find h'(2), given that f(2)= -3, g(2)= 4, f'(2)= -2, and g'(2)= 7 a) h(x...
calc- please help - given x=2cos(t)+t*sin(t) and y=2sin(t)-t*cost(t), with t:[pi...
math - A graph is given with the line going from (-2, 2) to (2,8). a) Find the ...
calc: avg value - Find the average value of the function "f(x) = x^2 sqrt(1+x^3...
Algebra-Please check - Please check- sqrt of 2x + 15 = x Answers: -5.3 -3.5 -3 5...
Asap can someone pplz check these answers - Please check my answers I have 2 do ...
English - procedure: Formative Test Now. let's check how well you can use the ...