Posted by Peter on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 7:35am.
The human eye responds to a light stimulus (generates a sensation of "light") upon receiving light energy of 10eV (and more). If we take 6000 angstroms as the average wavelength, how many photons must the eye receive to register a light sensation?
- chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:57pm
How much energy do you have in 6000 A?
E = hc/wavelength (w must be in meters) and E is then energy/photon.
Then convert 10 eV to joules, and
Joules = E/photon x # photons and solve for # photons.
- chemistry - Menes, Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:25pm
PLS dR bob cna explain beter bcs i cant understand......thanks in advance
- chemistry - Peter, Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:36pm
I calculated it without converting to Joules by taking the planck constant with the eV as unit, but i get around 4.84 photons, which seems to be wrong. Any ideas?
- chemistry - Dick, Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 9:20pm
Pete, the dimensional analysis is wrong. You should just convert the eV to joules.
- chemistry - KS, Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 10:20pm
even after converting to joules we get the same answer 4.835 which is wrong.
- chemistry - Dick, Friday, December 20, 2013 at 1:32am
Guys, the mathematics is correct. Look at what is being asked. It's simple.
- chemistry - KS, Friday, December 20, 2013 at 2:58pm
Right... I was thinking the same along the lines of light is "quantized". Thanks!
- chemistry - Menes, Saturday, December 21, 2013 at 7:32am
Determine the linear density of atoms (atoms/m) along the  direction of gold at 300K.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - The retina of a human eye can detect light when radiant energy ...
- physical chemistry - 2. The retina of a human eye can detect light when radiant ...
- CHEMISTRY - 4. The human eye is a complex sensing device for visible light. The ...
- Chemistry - Electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength of 665 nm appears as ...
- chemistry - the retina of a human eye can detect light when radiant energy ...
- physics - Light is an electromagnetic wave and travels at a speed of 3.00 × 10^8...
- physics - light is an electromagnetic wave and travels at a speed of 3.00 x 108 ...
- physics - If a 80 lightbulb emits 4.0 of the input energy as visible light (...
- Astronomy - Based on what you learned about light, select all of the correct ...
- Physics - Assume that the maximum aperture of the human eye, D, is approximately...