Posted by Sarah on Monday, December 16, 2013 at 9:32am.
In a typical Hawthorne world of moonbeams and shadows, the greatest pain for the Kinsman is not the tar and feathers, an extremely painful procedure, but making eye contact with the nephew to whom he had portrayed himself as a big shot. Most Americans have been taught to cheer for the mobs that brought down the British, but in this story, the mob “tramples on an old man’s heart.” Hawthorne doesn’t even try to say who was right, Patriot or Tory? Rather he shows the human tragedy of ordinary people caught up the forces of revolution.
In My Kinsman Major Molineau, Hawthorne
a)approves of the mob's actions
b)sees the mob as cruel and undiscriminating
c)sides with the Americans against the British
d)sides with the British against the Americans
Sorry. I am not understanding this passage to answer the question...:(
- English - Writeacher, Monday, December 16, 2013 at 10:12am
Keep in mind the world in which Hawthorne was born and grew up and lived ... the VERY early US. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathaniel_Hawthorne )
These sentences in the passage should help you focus on the overall point:
"Most Americans have been taught to cheer for the mobs that brought down the British, but in this story, the mob 'tramples on an old man’s heart.'"
"Hawthorne doesn’t even try to say who was right, Patriot or Tory" So you can immediately toss out C and D!
"Rather he shows the human tragedy of ordinary people caught up the forces of revolution."
What do you think?
- English - Sarah, Monday, December 16, 2013 at 10:15am
B?sees the mob as cruel and undiscriminating
- English - Writeacher, Monday, December 16, 2013 at 10:20am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - 1. I feel painful in my body. 2. No pains, no gains. 3. No pain, no ...
- BUSINESS - Which is typical behavior of a successful interviewee A- Making eye ...
- english - In my Communications class we are discussing how eye contact is ...
- Sociology - Give an example of a human behavior that is considered deviant in ...
- English - Using who or Whom 1. Who told you about our plans? 2. Who is our ...
- english - Hawthorne's greatest work is generally considered to be
- psychology - Because you are bored one afternoon, you decide to try a little ...
- Physics - If you are wearing contact lenses with a dioptric power of 3.4 and ...
- English - Tom's sister has a son. What does Tom call him? 1. He calls him nephew...
- English - In Nathaniel Hawthorne's "Dr. Heidegger's Experiment", I was asked to ...