Posted by Anonymous on Friday, December 6, 2013 at 10:56am.
I have an assignment to write an equation to point-slope form, then to standard form, and then to slope-intercept form. I have used the points (-2,-1) or (1,2), but I used (-2,-1).
Now, I have the point-slope form of y + 1= 1(x + 2) and the standard form of y – 1x = -1. When I convert into slope-intercept form, I am getting the slope as -1, which is the problem. Could someone please tell me where I am going wrong?
- Algebra - Anonymous, Friday, December 6, 2013 at 11:17am
Actually, the slope is not -1, but the y-intercept comes up as -1.
- Algebra - Reiny, Friday, December 6, 2013 at 12:40pm
your slope is correct as +1
your equation of
y+1 = 1(x+2) is also correct
then y+1 = x+2
y = x+1 ---> slope-yintercept form
y-x = 1
x - y = -1 ----> standard form ( I multiplied each term by -1)
- Algebra - Anonymous, Friday, December 6, 2013 at 12:51pm
So, how did you multiply the terms by -1?
- Algebra - Anonymous, Friday, December 6, 2013 at 1:17pm
And how do you rewrite x - y = -1 into slope-intercept form?
- Algebra - Reiny, Friday, December 6, 2013 at 4:32pm
in standard form we usually lead with the x term with a positive coefficient, so I wanted a +x as my first term, it was -x .
to change a standard form to slope- yintercept form usually takes 2 steps:
1. move all terms except the y term to the right
4x - 5y = 8 ---≥ -5y = -4x + 8
2. divide each term by the coefficient of the y term
-5y = -4x + 8 ----> y = (-4/-5)x + 8/-5
y = (4/5)x - 8/5 , just an example, has nothing to do with your question
apply those 2 steps to your question.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - pls check!!! - Write an equation in point-slope form for the line that ...
- Algebra - Choose 1 set of points from the choices below. Then, solve the problem...
- Algebra - I know that standard form is Ax+By=C, but I'm not really sure how to ...
- Algebra - I have an assignment that asks me to write an equation in slope-...
- Algebra 2 - Can someone help me with this equation please? The directions are: ...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Math - Write an equation in slope-intercept form, point-slope, or standard form ...
- Algebra - What is 2x=7? Is it a standard form, or slope-intercept form, or not a...
- Algebra 1 - I've tried so hard on this and I'm completely hopeless, can somebody...
- Math - Is it possible to use these points: (4,-2),(9,-8) and write an equation ...