Posted by Jane on Sunday, December 1, 2013 at 10:29pm.
twice a number minus a second number is -1. twice the second number added to three times the first number is 9. find the two numbers.
- Math - Reiny, Sunday, December 1, 2013 at 11:28pm
first number --- x
2nd number --- y
2x - y = -1
y = 2x+1
2y + 3x = 9
2(2x+1) + 3x = 9
4x + 2 + 3x = 9
7x = 7
x = 1
then y = 3
The first number is 1, and the second number is 3
twice the first - second
= 2 - 3 = -1 , check!
twice the second added to three times the first
2(3) + 3(1)
= 9 , check!
- Math - grylls, Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 7:28am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - the sum of two number is 39 . twice the first number plus 3 times the ...
- Please help quick! Math - The sum of three times a first number n twice second ...
- Math - Year 10 - Simult. Equations - Q) one number is 9 less than three times a ...
- MS. SUE - MATH HELP PLEASE - The sum of five times a number and twice a second ...
- math - yea it sais, three times one number added to another number is 18. twice ...
- algebra - Twice the first number is eleven more than the sum of the other two ...
- Math - The sum of three times a first number and twice a scond number is 43. If ...
- algebra - Three numbers are such that the first number is 10 less than twice the...
- algebra - Five times the smallest of three consecutive odd integers is ten more ...
- math - The greater of two numbers is 1 more than twice the smaller. Three times ...