Posted by kavi on Friday, November 29, 2013 at 9:55am.
10.a)Solve the inequality x^3-5x^2+2x+8<0 by
i) using intervals
ii) considering all cases
I did this but my teacher said that when i solved this: x^3-5x^2+2x+8<0
She told me to show all the steps, but i don't know how to show more. so can you please help me to show all the works and rest of the works i did too but she said " the same answer has to happen for each method. i don't really understand that. can you help me please and thank you....
Steve explained this, but still i didn't got the steps. can someone do it for me step by step so i can understand the steps of it please.
math ergent please please... - Reiny, Friday, November 29, 2013 at 12:27pm
Ok, so all the algebra work has been done
I would look at the graph of
y = x^3-5x^2+2x+8
I know that this is standard cubic function opening up in quadrant I and having x-intercepts of -1, 2, and 4
So a very rough sketch shows me that this curve is below the x-axis ( < 0 ) for x < - 1 or 2 < x < 4
looking at all cases , the critical values of -2,2, and 4 split the line into 4 parts :
if x < -1, try some value, e.g. x = -5
(-)(-)(+) < 0 , so yes
x < -1
if x is between -2 and 2 , e.g. x = 0
(+)(-)(-2) > 0 , so NO
if x is between 2 and 4 , e.g. x = 3
(+)(-)(+) < 0 , so YES
x is between 2 and 4
if x > 4 , e.g. x = 5
(+)(+)(+) > 0 , NO
then x < -2 OR 2 < x < 4
math ergent please please... - Kaplan, Monday, December 2, 2013 at 1:31pm
Reiny help me with using intervals. u forgot to help me with that. its urgent please
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math ergent please... - 10.a)Solve the inequality x^3-5x^2+2x+8<0 by i) using...
- math ergent please - 3. Factor x^4-3x^3-11x^2+3x+10 completely using the factor ...
- math - 2. Simplify. Please be sure to show all of your work. -3(-9) – |-5 – 3 3...
- Solve Inequality - Solve the inequality. Express your solution using interval ...
- Algebra - Find all intervals on which the given expressions are positive. (x-1)(...
- trig 30 - Please help I need to solve the following question for x, where 0<x...
- math - Could someone please show me what I did worng in my math questions? any ...
- Math - Problem4 - Solve the inequality. Express your solution using interval ...
- math - Could someone please check my math questions? any help will be greatly ...
- Math- Problem3 - Solve the following inequality and write your answer using ...