Posted by Adam on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 6:28pm.
3. Radioactive decay of nuclei often involves several decays before a stable nucleus is formed. This is called a decay chain. What stable isotope is formed when radon-222 undergoes a decay chain of four alpha decays followed by four beta decays?
4. Which nucleus balances the following nuclear equation for the fission of uranium-23? 235/92 U + 1/0 n -> 90/38 Sr + A/Z X + 2 1/0 n + y
(A) 146/54 Xe
(B) 146/52 Te
(C) 144/52 Te
(D) 144/54 Xe
(E) 142/50 Sn
Any help would be greatly appreciated; I don't understand this AT ALL. Please and thank you!
Physical Science - bobpursley, Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 6:56pm
four alpha means 4*2+) have left
Rn222 is 86X222
so take away 4*mass of alpha, and 4 charge of alpha, you get
78X214, and element 78 is Pt, and weight
then you have 78Pt204, then four beta decays leave the mass as 204, but changes the atomic number to 82
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chem - Potassium-40 undergoes three different modes of radioactive decay (Beta ...
- chem - a) Potassium-40 undergoes three different modes of radioactive decay (...
- chem - Write a partial decay series for Rn-220 undergoing the following ...
- chemistry - Write a partial decay series for Po-214 undergoing the following ...
- science - Which statement best explains why dating geologic materials from the ...
- Physics Help Please! Decay Questions - archaeologist digging at the site of an ...
- radioactive decay - What elements results if one of the neutrons is in a ...
- Nuclear physics - 1)7Be decays with a half-life of about 53 d. It is produced in...
- Physics Help Please - archaeologist digging at the site of an ancient settlement...
- physics - the nuclei Co-57 an odd-even unstable nucleus is often used as a ...