Posted by rian on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 7:03pm.
a geologist found that silt was deposited on a river bed at the rate of 4cm every 170 years , how long would it take for 5 cm of silt how long would it to be deposited ???? plz helpp
- ratio/proportions - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 7:10pm
4/170 = 5/x
Cross multiply and solve for x.
- ratio/proportions - rian, Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 7:14pm
I got 850/x and 4 /x what do I do next to get the answer
- ratio/proportions - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 7:18pm
When we cross multiply, we multiply the first and last terms together. Then we multiply the two middle terms together.
4/170 = 5/x
4x = 850
Divide both sides by 4
x = 212.5 years
It'll take 212.5 years for 5 cm of silt to be deposited.
- ratio/proportions - rian, Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 7:30pm
- ratio/proportions - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 7:34pm
Answer this Question
- chemistry - A camper obtained a sample of water from a mountain stream for ...
- Earth Science - Which particles can wind move most easily? Sand, silt, pebbles, ...
- Math 8 - Qs. Check - Ratio, Proportions, and Similarity Similar Figures The ...
- pysics - A river is one mile wide and the water flows at the rate 3 miles/hour. ...
- Math Lit - It takes 6hours to paint a bedroom a) How long would it take 2 men? B...
- Earth science - Can you please correct me if I am wrong or let me know what you ...
- math - Use proportions to solve this problem: Lisa ran 3 miles in 21 minutes. At...
- Ratio and Proportions - If a person cross-country ski for 15 minutes, how many ...
- Business - 1. What effect would the following actions have on a firmís current ...
- inorganic chemistry - silt is an example of ........ Hydride