Posted by Ramana on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 11:05am.
A physical pendulum consists of a body of mass contained in the xy-plane. The moment of inertia of the object about an axis perpendicular to the plane and passing through the object's center of mass is I_cm .
The object oscillates in the xy-plane about the point S a distance d from the center of mass as shown. What is the period of the pendulum for small angle oscillations where sin(theta )neraly =theta ?
Physics Urgent please help - Damon, Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 12:01pm
I assume your mass is m and moment of inertia about the center of mass is Ic
Then the total moment of inertia about the point S is I = (Ic + m d^2)
If the xy plane is vertical and this is a physical pendulum hanging from point S then the gravity force down is mg at the center of mass. At angle theta, which I call Th, this has components mg cos theta along the rod and mg son Theta toward the center. The torque about S is therefore m g d sin Th trying to bring the pendulum back to center
Then m g d sin Th = -I alpha
where alpha is the angular acceleration
If Th = x sin 2 pi f t (harmonic motion)
then V =dTh/dt 2 pi f x cos 2 pi f t
and alpha = dv/dt = -(2 pi f)^2 sin 2 pi f t
which is -(2pif)^2 Th
m g d sin Th = I ( 2 pi f)^2 T
now for small angles sin Th = Th in radians so
m g d = I (2 pi f)^2
m g d = (Ic + m d^2)( 2 pi f)^2
solve for f, the frequency
period = 1/f
Physics Urgent please help - Ramana, Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 1:38pm
Thank you very much Damon
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - An object is formed by attaching a uniform, thin rod with a mass of mr...
- physics - An object is formed by attaching a uniform, thin rod with a mass of mr...
- Physics - An engineer has an odd-shaped object of mass 16 kg and needs to find ...
- physics (please check work) - Four identical particles, each with mass m, are ...
- physics - What is the moment of inertia of a triangular plate ABC of mass M and ...
- science - Calculate the moment of inertia of a uniform disc of mass 200g and ...
- Physics - A solid circular disk has a mass of 1.67 kg and a radius of 0.144 m. ...
- Physics - Since moment of inertia is a scalar quantity, a compound object made ...
- Inertia - A thin, uniform rod is bent into a square of side length a. If the ...
- Physics - An engineer has an odd-shaped 11.4 kg object and needs to find its ...