Posted by Ramana on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 at 6:46pm.
A meteor is approaching. Assume that the meteor started very far away from the earth and just grazes the earth. You may ignore all other forces except gravitational force between earth and meteor. Assume that mass of the meteor is much smaller than mass of the earth.
With respect to which fixed point is the angular momentum of the meteor constant in time?
a)Initial point when meteor is very far away from earth.
b) The point where meteor just grazes the earth.
c)The center of the earth.
d)There is no point where the angular momentum is constant.
Physics please HELP - Damon, Tuesday, November 12, 2013 at 7:09pm
The gravitational force pulling the meteor toward the center of the earth exerts no moment (torque) on the meteor.
If there is no external moment on a system, its angular momentum remains constant.
Therefore I suspect that the angular momentum of the meteor wrt the center of gravity of the earth remains constant.
For example the force toward the center of the earth does not line up with the point on the surface of earth where the meteor grazes and therefore the force exerts a moment about that point and the angular momentum about that point can change.
Physics please HELP - Ramana, Tuesday, November 12, 2013 at 7:45pm
you mean c is the answer?
Physics please HELP - Damon, Tuesday, November 12, 2013 at 7:49pm
Physics please HELP - Damon, Tuesday, November 12, 2013 at 7:50pm
but understanding why is more important than the answer.
Physics please HELP - Damon, Tuesday, November 12, 2013 at 8:03pm
This is from
The conservation of angular momentum is used extensively in analyzing what is called central force motion. If the net force on some body is directed always toward some fixed point, the center, then there is no torque on the body with respect to the center, and so the angular momentum of the body about the center is constant. Constant angular momentum is extremely useful when dealing with the orbits of planets and satellites, and also when analyzing the Bohr model of the atom.
Physics please HELP - Ramana, Tuesday, November 12, 2013 at 8:08pm
Physics please HELP - Damon, Tuesday, November 12, 2013 at 8:22pm
You are welcome, good luck.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A 0.1134kg spherical meteor of diameter 3 cm enters the earth’s ...
- physics - About 50,000 years ago, in an area located outside Flagstaff, Arizona...
- Physics - A meteor has a speed of 90.0 m/s when 900 km above the Earth. It is ...
- Physics - Suppose a meteor of mass 3.30 1013 kg is moving at 32.0 km/s relative ...
- additional science: physics - Hello i have 2 questions in total. 1) The meteor ...
- physics! - Recently, a meteor impacted Russia. The estimate of the meteor's size...
- trigo - An observer at A looks due north and sees a meteor with an angle of ...
- Physics - Two meteoroids 250,000 km from Earth are moving at 2.1 km/s. Meteor ...
- physics - Two meteoroids 250,000 km from Earth are moving at 2.1 km/s. Meteor ...
- physics entry - A meteor headed straight towards the earth has an approach speed...