Posted by caduceus on Friday, November 8, 2013 at 10:11pm.
could someone check my answers to these few questions?
"What is the equation of the line, in slope-intercept form, that goes through the point (-1, -8) with m = 3 ?"
here's my work:
y + 8 = -3(x + 1) [i put the values into the equation.]
y = -3x + 5 [i multiplied -3 by 1 and added 8 to both sides.]
is this right? my main question is whether or not i would add or subtract 8 in this situation. i know that y - (-8) is exactly the same as y + 8, so, in that case, would i subtract 8 from both sides?
- algebra - Kuai, Friday, November 8, 2013 at 10:39pm
y = mx + b
-8 = (3)(-1) + b
-8 = -3 + b
-8 + 3 = -3 + 3 + b
b = -5
y = 3x -5
- algebra - caduceus, Friday, November 8, 2013 at 10:45pm
unfortunately, y = 3x -5 is not an answer. here are my option:
A. y = -3x + 11
B. y = -3x + 5
C. y = -3x - 11
D. y + 1 = -3(x + 8)
- algebra - caduceus, Friday, November 8, 2013 at 10:46pm
this is slope intercept form: y - y1 = m(x-x1)
- algebra - caduceus, Friday, November 8, 2013 at 10:47pm
oh wait nevermind, oops, that is not slope intercept form
- algebra - Kuai, Friday, November 8, 2013 at 11:14pm
m = 3
y -y1 = m (x -x1)
y -(-8) = 3 ( x - (-1))
y + 8 = 3(x + 1)
y + 8 = 3x + 3
y + 8 - 8 = 3x + 3 -8
y = 3x -5
Slope intercept form
y = mx + b
- algebra - Reiny, Saturday, November 9, 2013 at 8:39am
The problem is the slope.
All the options indicate a slope of -3, but you stated the slope to be +3
Kuai's solution is correct according to the data supplied.
- algebra - caduceus, Saturday, November 9, 2013 at 7:04pm
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - I would love for someone to check my work on the seven problems that ...
- Math - Can someone please check my work? Write the slope-intercept (y = mx +b) ...
- algebra[please check] - in questions 1 and 2, write an equation of the line in ...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- math - I have a few question so I will number them off. Please answer them for ...
- Math - Use the point-slope form linear equation given to complete the following ...
- algebra - Could someone please check my work. what is the slope of the line that...
- Algebra - I have an assignment that asks me to write an equation in slope-...
- math - pls check!!! - Write an equation in point-slope form for the line that ...
- Algebra - Choose 1 set of points from the choices below. Then, solve the problem...