Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 9:18pm.
In a scene in an action movie, a stunt man
jumps from the top of one building to the
top of another building 4.9 m away. After a
running start, he leaps at an angle of 17
respect to the flat roof while traveling at a
speed of 5.8 m/s.
The acceleration of gravity is 9
To determine if he will make it to the other
roof, which is 1.4 m shorter than the build-
ing from which he jumps, find his vertical
displacement upon reaching the front edge of
the lower building with respect to the taller
Answer in units of m
- physics - Henry , Friday, November 8, 2013 at 6:31pm
Vo = 5.8m/s[17o]
Xo = 5.8*cos17 = 5.55 m/s.
Yo = 5.8*sin17 = 1.70 m/s.
Y = Yo + g*t = 0 @ max. ht.
Tr = (Y-Yo)/g = (0-1.70)/-9.8 = 0.173 s.
= Rise time.
h=(Y^2-Yo^2)/2g = (0-1.7^2)/-19.6=0.147 m.
h = 1.4 + 0.147 = 1.55 m Above shorter
h = 0.5g*t^2 = 1.55 m.
4.9*t^2 = 1.55
t^2 = 0.316
Tf = 0.562 s. = Fall time or time to fall to roof of shorter bldg.
Dx = Xo * (Tr+Tf)
Dx = 5.55m/s * (0.173+0.562) = 4.08 m.
= His Hor. distance from bldg. #1.
Therefore, he will fall short of bldg. #2:
4.9 - 4.08 = 0.82 m. Short.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - In a scene in an action movie, a stunt man jumps from the top of one ...
- physics! - In a scene in an action movie, a stuntman jumps from the top of one ...
- Physics - In a scene in an action movie, a stuntman jumps from the top of one ...
- physics - In a scene in an action movie a person is being chased across a roof ...
- Physics - A man chased by the army, leaps with speed 12 m/s at a 47 degree angle...
- math - A man walks directly from point A towards the foot of a tall building ...
- physics - As a movie stunt coordinator, you need to be sure a stunt will be safe...
- math - A man is standing 35 m from a building. On top of the building is a flg. ...
- math- bc calc - a building is 36 ft tall. A pulley is attached to the top of the...
- Math - From the top of a 200 foot building, a bird is sighted overhead and a man...