Posted by Summer on Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 7:23pm.
1.Jeff can weed the garden in 4 h. His wife takes the same amount of time. After they worked for 1 hr, their son helped them finish in 1/2 h. H long would it have taken Rory by himself to weed the garden?
- 9th algebra - Reiny, Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 8:39pm
jeff's rate = 1/4
wife's rate = 1/4
combined rate = 1/4 + 1/4 = 1/2
job done after 1 hr = (1/2)(1 hr) = 1/2
let son's rate be 1/x , (who is Rory ? )
combined rate = 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/x
= 1/2 + 1/x
time for rest of job = (1/2)/combined rate)
but x/(x+1) = 1/2 hr
2x = x+1
x = 1
So Rory could do the garden in 1 hour by himself
- 9th algebra - Steve, Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 11:52pm
mom and pop each do 1/4 job in 1 hour
so, 1/2 job remained when Rory came to work.
In the next 1/2 hour, mom and pop each did another 1/8 of the job, or 1/4 combined.
That left 1/4 of the job for Rory to do in 1/2 hour. So, Rory could do the whole job in 2 hours by himself.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- pre calc - Sam Bordner can dig his garden in 4 hours end Elsie Bordner takes the...
- Algebra - Tom and Jerry are working together to weed the garden. Working ...
- English - The man said,"I want you to weed this garden." (This garden seems to ...
- English - Posted by rfvv on Monday, November 15, 2010 at 6:19am. The man said,"I...
- intermediate algebra - 1. Two numbers differ by 8. If one-half the larger is ...
- math - 10. A house painter can finish a house in 6 hours. His partner can finish...
- English - 1. It is easy for us to weed the garden. 2. It is easy for us to work ...
- math - vanessa can do a job in 12 days. after she has worked for 4 days, she is ...
- math - 1.a collection of 105 coins consists of 1 peso and 5 pesos. if the total ...
- math - I"m having a hard time setting up the problem George can plant a garden ...