Posted by Alison on Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 7:52pm.
Which is an equation of the line that passed through ( 2,-5 ) and ( 6,3 ).
A. Y= 1/2X - 6
B. Y= 1/2X
C. Y= 2X + 12
D. Y= 2X - 9
Math - Alison, Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 7:53pm
I really need help with this question so can anyone please explain to me how I can solve this question and please explain to me how you found the answer to this question step by step.
Math - Steve, Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 8:08pm
Look up the two-point form of the equation for a line. It is based on the fact that the slope of a line is constant. The slope here is (3+5)/(6-2) = 2.
Now starting from the point (2,-5), pick any other point (x,y) on the line.
The slope between those two points will always be the same: 2. So, for any point (x,y),
(y+5)/(x-2) = 2
(y+5) = 2(x-2)
y+5 = 2x-4
y = 2x-9
You could just as easily use the other point (6,3) as a starting place:
y-3 = 2(x-6)
y-3 = 2x-12
y = 2x-9
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- maths - Given that a line passes through the point , and that the line is ...
- maths - Questions Given that a line passes through the point , and that the line...
- Math - 1. Use point-slope form to write the equation of a line that has a slope ...
- algebra - write the equation of the line that is parallel ot the line x + Y =-2 ...
- Math - Write an equation in slope-intercept form of the line that passed through...
- Math - This question concerns the straight line that passes through the points...
- algebra - Write the equation of the line that is parallel to the given line and ...
- mat 101 - Equation for a line that passes through (6,26) and has a slope of 3 ...
- math - a) Determine an equation for the line with slope 3 and passing through ...
- Math please. - What is the y-intercept of y = 2/3x + 2? I have to write it out ...