Posted by kaitlyn on Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 11:38am.
1. Write the equation for the horizontal line that contains point G(-8, 8).
2. What is an equation for the line that passes through points (-1, -4) and (1, 4)? Write the equation in slope-intersect form.
3. Write an equation for the vertical line that contains point E(10, -3).
- math (please help) - Jai, Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 12:07pm
Note that horizontal line has a zero slope, and in the form y = c, where c is a any real number.
Therefore, if it passes thru the point (-8,8), the equation must be y = 8.
If we are given the two points on the line, we first get the slope using the formula
m = (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1)
where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are points on the line. Substituting,
m = (4 - (-4)) / (1 - (-1))
m = (4+4)/(1+1)
m = 4
Then we substitute it on the point slope formula:
y - y1 = m(x - x1)
y - 4 = 4(x - 1)
y = 4x - 4 + 4
y = 4x
Note that vertical line has a slope equal to infinity, and in the form x = c, where c is a any real number.
Therefore, if it passes thru the point (10,-3), the equation must be x = 10.
Hope this helps :3
- math (please help) - kaitlyn, Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 12:18pm
Thank You so much Jai
Answer this Question
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Algebra II - Can you make sure my Algebra II work is correct? I've done the ...
- geo - A line contains the points (8, 9) and (–12, –7). Using point-slope form, ...
- Algebra (grade 9) - Write an equation in point-slope form of the line that ...
- algebra - Write an equation in slope-intercept form of the line that passes ...
- algebra - Write the equation of the line that passes through point (5, 4) with a...
- math - 1.Write an equation for the line that is parallel to x = -35 and passes ...
- algebra (check plz) - write an equation in slope-intercept form of the line that...
- Math - This question concerns the straight line that passes through the points...
- algebra - 1. write an equation of the line that passes through the point and has...