Posted by B8 on Saturday, October 26, 2013 at 9:19pm.
the question is Alyssa ate 3 more than 1/2 as many candy corns as Hayley. If Alyssa ate 17 candy corn, find the number of candy corn Hayley ate?
First I thought to do 17-3=14
This was my first thought but then I wondered if you multiplied first
17x2=34 and then adding the +3
giving you 37
I think the first way is the correct way but I am not sure.
Can you help verify which step would be done first?
math - Steve, Saturday, October 26, 2013 at 10:28pm
If Hayley ate h, then since we know Alyssa ate 17,
h/2 + 3 = 17
h/2 = 14
h = 28
Alyssa ate 3 more than 14, which is half of 28
Your first way was correct.
You should have gotten a bad feeling about 37 right away, since 1/2 of 37 is not a whole number.
math - B8, Saturday, October 26, 2013 at 10:34pm
I didn't think the second way was right. Thanks for clarifying it for me.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Four friends shared a candy bar. The first friend ate 1/4 of the candy ...
- Math - Dale sent Sasha a 2 II2-pound box of candy. Sasha's little sister ate I;4...
- math - Mrs Olive gave her 4 children a sack of candy to share. Mark ate 1/2 of ...
- Math - When a survey of 800 people was done, 55% of those surveyed said they ate...
- math..word problem - Mary had some M&M candy. She ate one, then gave half of the...
- English - Is this a pun? You ate all of my candy! No, I only ate more than half ...
- word problem - bought a jumbo box of candy. by the time i got home kids ate 1/4 ...
- math - peter bought a bag of candy. He gave away ten percent of the candy too ...
- Math - Two friends cut a large candy bar into equal pieces Harriet ate 1/4 of ...
- Math - Ava, Keirra, and Victoria ate exactly 3/4 of their candy bars. Ava ate 3 ...