Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, October 26, 2013 at 2:51pm.
a) Family Smith has already installed PV in their house. Now, they also want to cover their needs for warm water with solar energy. For this, they consider having a solar thermal water heating system. Considering that the need for warm water is 100L/day, the water has to be heated from 10 to 60ºC and the specific heat capacity of liquid water is 4.18 J/gK.
What is the total energy, in Wh/day, that the system will need to supply to cover the warm water demand?
b) Considering an efficiency of 70% and an irradiance of 1000W/m2 for 3 equivalent sun hours, how much collector area, in m2, will be needed to cover the demand?
c) If only half of the hot water needed has to be stored, at least how big, in L, should the storage tank be?
d) The cost per m2 of collector is estimated as 120 Euros, and the extra costs for water tank and piping are 6 Euros per L of storage. How much will the whole system cost?
e) However, Mr Smith has read an article in the newspaper in which it was claimed that at the moment it is more expensive to install a solar thermal system for water heating than directly using the PV electricity to heat up water. Therefore, he wants to make some calculations to check such assessement. If the price for Wp of a PV panel is 1 Euro and the external costs are 400 Euros, and considering an efficiency of electricity to heat conversion of 85%, how much (in Euros) will it cost to cover the same amount of energy with PV technology?
f) Assume that the lifetime of both systems is 20 years and the maintenance costs are also equal for both cases. Which will be the better choice for water heating?
1)Solar thermal system
3)Both systems are equally good
- Solar Energy Please Help - Anonymous, Sunday, October 27, 2013 at 3:59am
- Solar Energy Please Help - Anonymous, Sunday, October 27, 2013 at 4:41am
Thanx, Can you also give out the rest??
- Solar Energy Please Help - I.G., Sunday, October 27, 2013 at 4:47am
f) Solar thermal system
- Solar Energy Please Help - Aleks, Sunday, October 27, 2013 at 7:08am
- Solar Energy Please Help - Anonymous, Saturday, September 19, 2015 at 7:34pm
- Solar Energy Please Help - Hello!, Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 12:22pm
Someone know the answer or at least the explanation of e?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - a) Family Smith has already installed PV in their house. Now, they ...
- English - A: What do you think of a solar house. 1. I think the solar house ...
- science - The average solar radiation incident on the surface of the earth is ...
- English - 1. What do you think of a solar house? - I think the solar house makes...
- physics help - At a certain location, the solar power per unit area reaching the...
- physics - At a certain location, the solar power per unit area reaching the ...
- to ms.sue- science project part 1 - Please select one of the four solar-energy-...
- Science - Family Smith is interested in buying a solar energy system. After some...
- Solar Energy - Where would a charge controller be placed when solar energy is ...
- English - Why is the future of solar energy bright? 1. Every year, solar cells ...