Posted by Nicole on Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 5:35pm.
Plato, a Greek philosopher who lived from 427 BC to 347BC, famously wrote that, "Necessity is the mother of invention." Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
History/Economics - Ms. Sue, Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 5:38pm
I agree with it because it's true. Fire was harnessed because people needed fire for warmth and to cook food.
However, today I'm not so sure that statement is applicable. It was not necessity that produced phones that take photos.
What do you think?
History/Economics - Nicole, Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 6:12pm
I think necessity wasn't the mother of inventions like technology. because necessity means the fact of being required or indispensable. and indispensable means absolutely necessary. technology did not needed to be invented. It was just a thought that wanted to come to life.
History/Economics - Ms. Sue, Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 6:23pm
Of course technology has to be invented. I may have a good thought -- but I sure don't know how to make any gadgets. New inventions are designed by people who understand how to do it and are financed by people who think they can sell them and make money.
In the ancient world, probably most inventions were needed.
History/Economics - Nicole, Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 6:27pm
True, but that doesn't mean that technology is part of necessity.
History/Economics - Ms. Sue, Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 6:38pm
New technology always involves inventions.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- History/Economics..PLEASE HELP!! - Plato, a Greek philosopher who lived from ...
- Literature - lives and works of: a. two ancient and classical greek writers b. ...
- greek philosophy and history - Who thought that the governments should be headed...
- History - All day long and in all places I am always fastening upon you, ...
- World History - Need help with these: 21. English philosopher who believed all ...
- greek philosophy and history - Who among the Greek philosophers would be the ...
- Philosophy - can someone explain what this teacher wants me to do, do I put and ...
- greek philosophy and history - This first historian was the author of the "...
- Human Relations - The saying "Necessity is the mother of invention" emphasizes ...
- Core World History - Which is an accurate statement about Greek art and ...