Posted by slamj on Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 12:09am.
Determination of Kf of Cu(NH3)4 (aq) with given 10mL of 6M NH3 mix with 40mL of 1M Cu.
This is what I have so far:
nCu= .040L x 1= .040mol
nNH3= .010L x 6= .060mol
Cu^2+ + 4NH3 -> Cu(NH3)4
.040 .06 0
-.040 4(-.040) +.040
0 -.1 .040
I'm not so quite sure with my answer. Help please??
chemistry - slamj, Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 12:12am
a Kf wasn't given too? Was told to use ice table to find concentration of Cu(NH3)4 then I'll be able to find Kf.
chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 1:01am
There MUST be something missing here but I will go as far as I can.
initial (Cu^2+) = 0.8 M as you have it.
initial (NH3) = 0.06 mols/0.05L = 1.2M
............Cu^2+ + 4NH3 ==> Cu(NH3)4^++
Note that all of the Cu CAN'T be used, as you've done, because that would take 0.8 x 4 = 3.2M NH3 and you don't have that much. So the limiting reagent is NH3. But this is where we get into trouble. If we try to plug into Kf expression we can't use zero for NH3 OR if we use it as you did and use all of the Cu, the equilibrium Cu is zero and we can't use that either. Kf for the complex is about 1.1E13 according to a web site I used.
chemistry - denny, Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 4:02am
Into the cell assembled, Cu(s)l CuSO4, 0.01M ll CuSO4, 1.0M l Cu(s)...was added 10mL of concentrated 6M NH3
chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 12:49pm
Is there a voltage listed for the assembly?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - in the presence of NH3, Cu+2 forms the complex ion [Cu(NH3)4]+2. If ...
- chem - Calculate the equilibrium concentration of NH3,Cu^2+,[ Cu(NH3)]^2+ ,[Cu(...
- college chem - The cation M2+ reacts with NH3 to form a series of complex ions ...
- chemistry - 50.0 mL of a 0.00200 M Cd^2+ solution is titrated with 0.00400 M ...
- chemistry - from the balanced equation 4NH3 +7O2 - 4NO2 + 6H2O How many ...
- chemistry - CuSO4+4NH3-Cu(NH3)4SO4 a. if you use 10.0g 0f CuSO4 and excess NH3, ...
- chemistry - Calculate [Cu^2+] in a 0.15 M CuSO4 solution that also 6.5 M in free...
- Chemistry - I'm trying to work out the equation for when ammonia solution is ...
- chemistry - calculate Cu2+ in a 0.15M CuSO2 (aq) solution that is also 6.5M in ...
- Honors Chemistry - "How many grams of NH3 can be produced from the reaction of ...