Posted by anon on Monday, October 21, 2013 at 5:36pm.
cos2x-sinx=0. Factor and solve for sinx
math - Reiny, Monday, October 21, 2013 at 5:43pm
1 - 2sin^2 x - sinx = 0
2sin^2 x + sinx - 1 = 0
(2sinx - 1)(sinx + 1) = 0
sinx = 1/2 or sinx = -1
in degrees, x = 30° , 150° , 270°
in radians, x = π/5 , 5π/6 , 3π/2
math - anon, Monday, October 21, 2013 at 5:46pm
Thanks. I was wondering, why is it "+ sin x" in the second step?
math - anon, Monday, October 21, 2013 at 5:47pm
do you just change all the signs of the terms? if so, why is this necessary?
math - Reiny, Monday, October 21, 2013 at 5:51pm
I multiplied each term by -1
(notice all the signs have switched)
I like my quadratics to start with a positive coefficient, although that would not be necessary.
It just makes it easier to factor.
math - anon, Monday, October 21, 2013 at 5:55pm
ok thank you.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - the problem is 2cos^2x + sinx-1=0 the directions are to "use an identity ...
- Math Help - Hello! Can someone please check and see if I did this right? Thanks...
- Trig Help - Prove the following: [1+sinx]/[1+cscx]=tanx/secx =[1+sinx]/[1+1/sinx...
- math - solve each equation for 0=/<x=/<2pi sin^2x + 5sinx + 6 = 0? how do ...
- Trig........ - I need to prove that the following is true. Thanks (cosx / 1-sinx...
- Math - Trig - Double Angles - Prove: sin2x / 1 - cos2x = cotx My Attempt: LS: = ...
- trigonometry - can i use factoring to simplify this trig identity? the problem ...
- Trig--check answer - Solve the equation of the interval (0, 2pi) cosx=sinx I ...
- Trig - Verify the identity: tanx(cos2x) = sin2x - tanx Left Side = (sinx/cosx)(...
- Math/Calculus - Please take a look at my work below and provide a good critique...