Posted by de3100 on Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 12:44pm.
Given the function k(x) = x2, compare and contrast how the application of a constant, c, affects the graph. The application of the constant must be discussed in the following manners:
k(x + c)
k(x) + c
c • k(x)
math - Steve, Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 12:45pm
shift or scale. Any ideas which go where?
math - de3100, Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 1:16pm
i don't understand it can you
math - Steve, Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 2:17pm
consider the graph
k(x) = x^2
k(x) = x^2+5 is the same graph, shifted up 5 units.
Similarly, k(x) = (x-5)^2 is the same graph, shifted to the right by 5 units.
If you think of the k-axis moved to the right 5 units, all the new x-coordinates are 5 less than the old ones. That's why substituting (x-5) is the same as moving the k-axis 5 units to the right.
Think of scaling the same way. The graph grows or shrinks because the x-coordinate grows or shrinks by a factor of c.
Visit http://rechneronline.de/function-graphs/ where you can play around with tweaking the functions and see how they are affected. You can display up to 3 graphs at once. So, enter
x^2 for the first,
(x-5)^2 for the 2nd, and
x^2+5 for the 3rd.
You might want to change x and y ranges from -5 to 5 and make them -10 to 10 instead. Just play around some.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra II - Given the function k(x) = x2, compare and contrast how the ...
- college algebra - find a real-life application of a quadratic function. State ...
- Devry - 1. You are part of a team given the task of designing an application to ...
- Business English - Which of the following statements most effectively applies ...
- Business Managment - Which of the following statements most effectively applies ...
- Economics Help pls - Suppose you are given the following production function: , ...
- programming c++ - write a simple c++ application that displays different ...
- MATH SINUSOIDAL APPLICATION - Would pulling a roll of thread create a sinusoidal...
- Question about college application - I had submitted a college application essay...
- IT - Can someone help me with this? Design an application or site that presents ...