Posted by qwerty on Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 6:49pm.
1)Buttermilk has 9 grams of protein and 12 grams of carbohydrate per cup (237ml). Estimate the concentration in mol/L of protein using the fact that the average protein is 300 amino acids long and the average amino acid has a mass of 110 amu.
2)Lactose (MW:342 amu) makes up the vast majority of the carbohydrate. Calculate the molarity of lactose in buttermilk and compare it to that of protein.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 8:26pm
1. avg molar mass = 110 x 399 = 33,000.
mols protein = grams/molar mass. You know grams and molar mass, solve for mols.
M = mols/L. You know mols and L, solve for M.
2. See #1.
- Chemistry - Anonymous, Saturday, October 12, 2013 at 2:18pm
- Chemistry - Amy, Sunday, October 13, 2013 at 5:33pm
I .001151 correct? I ended up with 2.72
- Chemistry - s, Tuesday, October 15, 2013 at 11:29am
- Chemistry - Amy, Tuesday, October 15, 2013 at 12:00pm
- Chemistry - africanmeat, Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 7:08am
#2 is the same as #1
just it is 12 g
and it is molar mass of 342
so it will be 0.148
- Chemistry - z, Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 3:16am
do you have to convert the 9grams to liters in order to answer the first question for the protein amount? i
- Chemistry - Jaxx, Friday, June 19, 2015 at 5:06pm
The answer is 0.148.
I got the answer wrong with above,andthey told me this was.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - Buttermilk has 9 grams of protein and 12 grams of carbohydrate per ...
- genetics - you want to build a protein that is 10 amino acids long with the ...
- biology - In this problem, 6 amino acids have been randomly selected from the ...
- Science - The role of protein in hormone/enzyme functions? How protein assists ...
- BioChem - I have a hard time with this question. Please help. One way to ...
- Exercise\workout - I have three questions if you please, can I take protein even...
- Physical Chemistry - A 100 amino acid folded protein (F) is in equilibrium with ...
- Bio - One way to determine the concentration of protein in a solution is to ...
- Biology - The LEPR gene that encodes for the leptin receptor protein is ...
- science - In this problem, you will explore the protein lysozyme. Lysozyme is ...