Posted by toni on Tuesday, October 8, 2013 at 12:52pm.
help me please im confused
Consider the quadratic expression X^2 + 4x + c = 0.
For what range of values does the equation have two complex roots?
what am i doing here can someone show me step by step so i can at least try to do the other problems i have
- algebra - Jai, Tuesday, October 8, 2013 at 1:01pm
Hi. I answered you previous post and it was almost similar, except that here, the roots must be complex/imaginary so D must be less than zero. Anyway,
Recall the formula for discriminant. For a quadratic equation in the general form, ax^2 + bx + c = 0,
D = b^2 - 4ac
D = 0 : real, equal/double root
D > 0 : two real, unequal roots
D < 0 : two imaginary roots
Since we're required to have complex/imaginary, D < 0, and solve for the unknown, c.
x^2 + 4x + c = 0
a = 1
b = 4
c = ?
Substituting to the discriminant formula, (D < 0)
0 < 4^2 - 4*1*c
0 < 16 - 4c
4c < 16
c < 4
Hope this helps~ :3
- algebra - Swaastikaa, Friday, October 11, 2013 at 3:32am
I disagree that the answer is c < 4. The correct answer is c > 4.
Lets see the steps again:
x^2 + 4x + c = 0, b^2 - 4ac < 0
4^2 - 4(1)(c) < 0
16 - 4c < 0
16 < 4c
4c > 16
Therefore c > 4
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- College Algebra--Still Confused - I have a few problems I need help with and ...
- Algebra2 - Find the polynomials roots to each of the following problems: #1) x^2...
- College Algebra - I have a few problems I need help with and also do have ...
- Algebra 2 - How do I solve polynomial equation by finding all complex roots? The...
- College math - Which statement describes the quadratic equation 6x^2-4x+1=0,...
- can someone please help me? - simplify the following expressions involving ...
- Maths - There are two complex roots to the quadratic equation z^2 +(1−16i)...
- algebra - solve quadratic equation x2 + x + (sqrt 3/4)i = 0 complex roots
- Math - I can't remember how you find the roots of quadratic equations other than...
- algebra - Im lost i dont know how to do this can someone show me step by step ...