Posted by Blue on Monday, October 7, 2013 at 9:04pm.
1.)A picture 8 in. by 12 in. is placed in a frame which has a uniform width. if the area of the frame is equal to the area of the picture, find the dimension of the frame
(8+2x)(12+2x)-96 = 96
is it correct that the answer is 12? i'm not confident with my answer,please help!
Arman has 1160 annual income from bonds bearing 3% and 5 % interest. then he added 25% more of the 3% bonds and 40% more of the 5 % bonds, thereby increasing his annual income by 410. find his initial investment in each type
x=original 3% investment
y=original 5% investment
3.75x+7y = 1570
i don't know what to do next,please help!
- 12th grade MATH - Steve, Tuesday, October 8, 2013 at 12:16am
Not even close. Not only is the algebra wrong, but x is not the answer to the question.
96+40x+4x^2 = 96+96
4x^2+40x-96 = 0
x^2+10x-24 = 0
(x-2)(x+12) = 0
x = 2 or -12
Naturally, -12 is not a possibility, so x=2
The frame is 2" wide, making the dimensions of the framed picture 12x16
Note that 12x16 = 96+96
on the 2nd,
first, note that .05x1.4 is NOT 7. It is 0.07
.03x + .05y = 1160
.0375x + .07y=1570
.21x + .35y = 8120
.1875x + .35y = 7850
.0225x = 270
x = 12000
y = 16000
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - a picture 8 in. by 12 in. is placed in a frame which has a uniform width...
- math - a picture 8 in. by 12 in. is placed in a frame which has uniform width. ...
- math - Sue wants to frame a picture with a matte of uniform width all around the...
- algebra - A 3 by 5 inch picture is put into frame with a mat that has width x. ...
- math - hw help - A rectangular picture is 3cm longer than its width, (x+3). A ...
- Math - 1.)A picture 8 in. by 12 in. is placed in a frame which has a uniform ...
- Math help!! for finals - 1.)A picture 8 in. by 12 in. is placed in a frame which...
- calculus - What size should be the frame be? Suppose an artist has a circular ...
- College Algebra/Geometry - What size should be the frame be? Suppose an artist ...
- Math - erica painted a picture of her dog the picture has an area of 3,600 cm2 ...