Posted by Danielle on Monday, October 7, 2013 at 12:01am.
A speaker has a collection of 62 jokes. He uses 3 jokes in each speech.
Please help i got a is 37820 but really need help with part b
(a) In how many ways can he select 3 jokes for a speech?
How many speeches can he give without using a joke twice? (Round your answer down to the nearest whole number.)
- Math - Reiny, Monday, October 7, 2013 at 12:23am
a) is correct
b) If I interpret it correctly
first speech: he has 62 jokes available
second speech: he has 59 jokes available
third speech: 56 jokes
nth speech: ≥ 3
so we have to find the number of terms in the arithmetic sequence
62, 59, 56 , .... , 3 or 2 or 1
a = 62, d=-3 , n = ? when term(n) = 3
term(n) = a+(n-1)d
3 = 62 + (n-1)(-3
-59 = -3n + 3
3n = 62
n = 62/3 = 20.666..
term(21) = 62 -3(20) = 2
term(20) = 62 - 3(19) = 5
So he should be able to give 20 speeches, but on the 21st speech he would only have 2 jokes to tell
- Math - Danielle, Monday, October 7, 2013 at 12:26am
I understand what you did but which one would i round it to the 20 speeches or 21 speeches?
- Math - Reiny, Monday, October 7, 2013 at 12:36am
Well, your instructions were to round down to the nearest whole number.
As I said, for his 20th speech he would have 5 jokes left that he hasn't used yet, and he chooses 3 of those.
So on his 21st speech he only has 2 unused jokes, and would have to repeat one of the other jokes.
So without repeating any jokes, my answer would be 20 speeches.
Answer this Question
- 4TH GRADE MATH - Wayne has told 34 fewer jokes than Anthony. Together, they have...
- SOCIOLOGY - Check a school or public library or a nearby bookstore for a ...
- English - 1. I tell great jokes. 1-2. I tell good jokes 2. I make great jokes. 3...
- English - I'm doing a speech on Aussie Slang for English, but it has to be ...
- Jokes - I am in need for a funny joke which I need to add in my skit. Please ...
- english - i need help finding jokes for my talent show
- english - change to reported speech speaker a: eih she is coming! speaker s:who...
- Health - Would laughing to jokes count as stress?
- english - I am to write a definition paragraph and was wondering if this was ok...
- Grammar and Composition - I don't understand how i can write a 1-2 minute speech...