Posted by Debo on Friday, October 4, 2013 at 12:30pm.
a City's transit authority serves 178500 communters daily when the fare is $1.90. Market research has determined that every penny decrease in the fare will result in 1,050 new riders. what fare will maximize revenue?
Algebra - Steve, Friday, October 4, 2013 at 12:45pm
revenue = #riders * fare
= (178500+1050(190-x))(.01x) for x<=190
that's just a parabola with vertex at x=180.
Algebra - Reiny, Friday, October 4, 2013 at 12:49pm
number of penny decreases ---- n
cost of fare = 190-n
number of riders = 178500 + 1050n
revenue = R = (190-n)(178500+1050n)
P' = (190-n)(1050) + (178500 + 1050n)(-1)
= 0 for a max of P
178500 + 1050n = 1050(190-n)
divide by 1050
170 + n = 190-n
2n = 20
n = 10
the fare should be 190+10 = 200
or it should be $ 2.00
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math grd 10 - station carries 15000 bus riders per day for a fare of 1.90. the ...
- Mathematics-please help quick!! - In a city, the PMV fare is 50 toea. The fare ...
- Calculus with Analytical Geometry - 1. A bullet is shot upwards with an initial ...
- Microeconomics - The new york times reported that subway ridership declined ...
- MICROECONOMICS - Can anyone help me??? I have to answer this question: This is ...
- math - air fare club offers membership at $300.00, at least 50 people must join....
- algebra - can anyone please help me set this problem up, I can do the math but I...
- Math - the total fare for 2 adults and 3 childrren on the Tilt a Whirl ride $14....
- math - a cab charges the following fare for ea. trip...first 1/4 mi $2.95 for ...
- math - On Tuesday and Wednesday, cab fare cost $7.75 total. On Monday and ...