Posted by Daisy on Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 3:52am.
Find the derivatives of:
1. H(x)= sin2xcos2x
The answer given is 2cos4x. My question is, how in the world did they get that!? Shouldn't the answer at least contain the sin function, either negative or positive seeing as it's the derivative of cos? Also, which rules are involved in this problem? Product and chain rule?
2. f(x)= (cotx) / (sinx)
I ended up with a mess of an answer that no where near resembled the solution.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
- Derivatives - Steve, Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 4:58am
H(x) = sin2x cos2x
= 1/2 sin4x
Using the product rule, it's a bit more work, but you can get the same answer:
dH/dx = 2cos2x cos2x - 2sin2x sin2x
= 2(cos^2 2x - sin^2 2x)
Don't forget your trig just because you're taking calculus!
df/dx = (u'v - uv')/v^2
= (-csc^2 * sin - cot * cos)/sin^2
= (-csc - cos^2/sin)/sin^2
= -1/sin^3 - cot^2 csc
or, getting rid of the pesky cot,
f = cos/sin^2
f' = (-sin^3 - 2cos^2*sin)/sin^4
= (-sin^2 - 2cos^2)/sin^3
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - Okay so I have a question on my assignment that says: You are given ...
- Calculus - show that the curves r=asin(è) and r=acos(è) intersect at right ...
- Calculus - Find the derivatives of the function k(x)=sqrt(sin(2x))^3 I think I ...
- math - I studied derivatives before, but kind of forgot them all, is there a ...
- calculus - 1.) values of f(t) are given in the following table: t 0 2 4 6 8 10 f...
- calculus - Let f be a function that has derivatives of all orders for all real ...
- convert derivatives of x,y,z, to r, Ɵ,z - convert derivatives of x,y,z, to ...
- extrema - The function is given as y = 7x^3 - 8x^2 -16x +15 The max is at x = -4...
- math - find the derivatives, dy/dx for the folowing function : y=ln(cos(0.5)+(...
- Calculus - Find a formula for the derivatives of the function m(x)=1/(x+1) IS ...