Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 10:25am.
Just then my Uncle Sol offered Grandma a compliment. "Esther," he said, "that's a beautiful football. Real cott gless." Grandma looked at Uncle Sol with great superiority. "Sol," she said, "listen close, you'll learn something. This cott gless is called a frutt boll, not a football. This in the middle, this is a football."
Uncle Sol was impressed. "Very smot," he said. "Very nice. But, Esther, now tell me something. How come you got a football in your frutt bol?" He pronounced them both carefully.
"Because," Grandma said, "today mine Allan brought me a nice present, this football. It's beautiful, no?"
Before Uncle Sol could answer, Grandma continued, "It's beautiful, yess- because from a child is beautiful, anything.
...From a child is beautiful, anything.
How does Grandma's tone change from the beginning of the passage to the end?
a. At first, she has a proud tone, but it changes to one of confusion about her grandson's action.
b. At first, she has a sad tone, but it changes to one of superiority over Uncle Sol.
c. At first, she has a matter-of-fact tone, but it changes to one of pride in her grandson.
d. At first, she has an annoyed tone, but it changes to one of pride in her knowledge.
What context clues help you define the word compliment in the passage?
a. Grandma acts superior to Uncle Sol.
b. Grandma says the football is beautiful.
c. Uncle Sol is confused about why a football is in the fruit bowl.
d. Uncle Sol tells Grandma the football is beautiful.
Answer this Question
- English - Identify the prepositional phrase in the following sentences from the ...
- Language Arts - Identify the prepositional phrase in the following sentences ...
- pharma medicine - you are combining 50ml of a 20%sol,150ml of a 15% sol.,and ...
- Chemistry - You mix 19.5 gallons of a mixture containing 12 wt% NaCl (sol'n ...
- chemistry - 500g urea aq. Sol. Has mole fraction 0.2 what is molality of sol.
- chemistry - A sol n contains 37g cuso4 and 111g water . Calculate the ...
- science - In 91% (by volume) isopropyl alcohol (a large [compared to water], ...
- Spanish - 22. ¿Te gustan _______ pantalones ___? a. estos/marrones b. rojos/esos...
- Chemisty - Aluminum hydroxide forms a positively charged sol. Which of the ...
- physics - A force of 8 N acts on a 2 kg object as it is displaced along the x-...